Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
What'chu lookin at

Photos: Gallery
Dust/dirt in Lens

So I have a line on a cheap K 28mm F3.5 (or what they have listed as an SMC 28mm F3.5 in their inventory database, I don't know anything about K-series lenses but from what I've read they're the same thing) from the local camera chain. According to the guy I'm dealing with, the "exterior shows well with minimal scratches, aperture blades open and close with distinctive stops, no oil on the blades, clean over all with rear cap however there is a visible spec of dirt or dust inside the lens, it is noticeable". Unfortunately, I'm too far away to go see the lens in person, so I'll have to take his word for granted.

For those interested, the lens is going for $60

So, the question is: judging by his description of the anomaly inside the lens, is it worth my time and energy to open the lens and remove the dirt? What are my options here?

12-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
So I have a line on a cheap K 28mm F3.5 (or what they have listed as an SMC 28mm F3.5 in their inventory database, I don't know anything about K-series lenses but from what I've read they're the same thing) from the local camera chain. According to the guy I'm dealing with, the "exterior shows well with minimal scratches, aperture blades open and close with distinctive stops, no oil on the blades, clean over all with rear cap however there is a visible spec of dirt or dust inside the lens, it is noticeable". Unfortunately, I'm too far away to go see the lens in person, so I'll have to take his word for granted.

For those interested, the lens is going for $60

So, the question is: judging by his description of the anomaly inside the lens, is it worth my time and energy to open the lens and remove the dirt? What are my options here?
Dust inside the lens usually doesn't have any effect whatsoever on the image quality, as it's normal to see it accumulate over time. But I'd say it would still be worth it to see the lens in person, or at least to obtain some detailed pics.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
What'chu lookin at

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hmm, now there's an idea. I've always bought sight-unseen from these guy before and I haven't been let down yet. I'll ask the guy if he can send some pics.
12-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

$60 is a really good price for a K 28mm F3.5. I would be inclined to buy it. Even if you decide to pay someone to remove the dust, your total investment will probably be equal to or less than the market value of the lens.

And, it's definitely a lens worth having.

01-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
SME

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Dust inside the lens usually doesn't have any effect whatsoever on the image quality, as it's normal to see it accumulate over time. But I'd say it would still be worth it to see the lens in person, or at least to obtain some detailed pics.
when it is called fog, is it meant to be condensated water, and what is the consequence ?
Stefan