Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, I don't think you always need to close the distance. One of the best wildlife photographers on the net takes photos with a lot of open space around his subjects sometimes.

12-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
You know, I don't think you always need to close the distance. One of the best wildlife photographers on the net takes photos with a lot of open space around his subjects sometimes.
It depends on what you are trying to do. Close in shots with all the details, the eye color that show either intensity or cuddliness or just plain beauty are worth getting, and you have to be close with a sharp long lens. If you have a long lens and patience, in the range of difficulty that wildlife shooting represents, they may be the easiest. I find that I don't need to be an artist, I simply have to be there, have persistence and determination, a bit of skill with the equipment so as not to blow it, and the ability to get close. The art is provided by the subject.

Wildlife shots with a shorter lens require artistry. A different set of skills, such as the ability to capture interesting light, framing of shots, patience as well, you can't tell a wild animal to pose. Great wildlife shots such as this are extremely hard to get and require the full set of photographic skills and artistry to capture. For example, one morning two falls ago I was walking along a beach with my 300mm lens. A large and dense flock of swallows flew over and down the lake. My long lens got 4 or 5 birds, poorly. I often carry something wider, such as a Q, for these occasions. I didn't that morning, but the wonder of such a thing is very difficult to capture, requiring as much or more skill as getting close in to a bird for a detail shot.

Interestingly among my favorite shots of 2013 are ones where longer lenses would have gotten a nice shot, but the 300mm made it really nice. Grizzly bears wrestling in the mist, wood duck snoozing on a log with a bunch of turtles.
12-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can try them out by renting if you want. I have a K-30 and last Spring I rented the Sigma 50-500HSM for the Spring bird migration. It worked well and was not that difficult to handhold, but if was carrying it without much action it would probably get pretty cumbersome. I ended up recently buying the DA*300 because it's faster and sealed. If I really think I need 500 I will rent. I also have the DA55-300 which is excellent when it gets good light.
12-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It depends on what you are trying to do. Close in shots with all the details, the eye color that show either intensity or cuddliness or just plain beauty are worth getting, and you have to be close with a sharp long lens. If you have a long lens and patience, in the range of difficulty that wildlife shooting represents, they may be the easiest. I find that I don't need to be an artist, I simply have to be there, have persistence and determination, a bit of skill with the equipment so as not to blow it, and the ability to get close. The art is provided by the subject.

Wildlife shots with a shorter lens require artistry. A different set of skills, such as the ability to capture interesting light, framing of shots, patience as well, you can't tell a wild animal to pose. Great wildlife shots such as this are extremely hard to get and require the full set of photographic skills and artistry to capture. For example, one morning two falls ago I was walking along a beach with my 300mm lens. A large and dense flock of swallows flew over and down the lake. My long lens got 4 or 5 birds, poorly. I often carry something wider, such as a Q, for these occasions. I didn't that morning, but the wonder of such a thing is very difficult to capture, requiring as much or more skill as getting close in to a bird for a detail shot.

Interestingly among my favorite shots of 2013 are ones where longer lenses would have gotten a nice shot, but the 300mm made it really nice. Grizzly bears wrestling in the mist, wood duck snoozing on a log with a bunch of turtles.
If you're not cropping closely, its best to find the best area for a landscape shot and just wait for wildlife to come out or pass by. I think the best backgrounds make the best wildlife shots anyway. Some people have ways of blurring the background by isolating the subject by using layers in photoshop. I don't go that far.

12-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #20

DA*300 is great for wildlife.. You can get close (1,5m) for lizards with natural behavior, venomous snakes and frogs (and insects you can not reach).
You have plenty of reach for bigger birds, birds that come close, mammals and other bigger wildlife.
This lens is sharp, F4 at 300mm, weather resistant, close-focus (1,5m), only 1kg, and solid built.
Check my site for examples.
12-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do decide to go with a DA*300, (and for those who already have this lens) here is a tripod foot improvement to consider: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/231003-sal...apter-q-k.html
12-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I read lots of good things here for using the Pentax Q-7 body, K-mount adapter, and moderately long lenses.

If I only carry two lenses into the field with my K-30, it is the 18-135 and the 55-300. SR is great, but using a tripod and turning off SR is even better. And I've never been afraid to crop.

01-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone great info! Il prob go for the DA* 300mm .. I'm in vancouver so it gets pretty wet here and the wr adds a lot of comfort to thought.
01-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chicop Quote
Thanks everyone great info! Il prob go for the DA* 300mm .. I'm in vancouver so it gets pretty wet here and the wr adds a lot of comfort to thought.
Good choice - it will exceed your expectations
01-26-2014, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
So i ended up getting the SMC Pentax DA* 300 mm and i absolutely love it! Eagles stare 2 Photo by Peer Lemmers -- National Geographic Your Shot
01-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #26
Pentaxian

So i ended up getting the SMC Pentax DA* 300 mm and i absolutely love it! Eagles stare 2 Photo by Peer Lemmers -- National Geographic Your Shot
Nice! If you can get close enough the DA*300 is fantastic.
01-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots. You should post in the 300+ thread.