Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
This 300 is never still on a tripod. I made a DIY lens mount and it helped but there were still those 'micro tremors'. This worked. essentially liquid in a bag.
time for new tripod?

12-30-2013, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BretW Quote
I take your point, more or less, but I feel mine is perennially lost in this discussion.

What I am not saying: I want a perfect SR system that addresses all contingencies.

My specialty as a biologist is evolutionary trade-offs. I know of no perfect systems. What's more, I know why they can not exist. But I also know that the cost of an adaptation can often be minimized to a great degree. Birds do not walk around with their wings extended just because extended wings allow flight...

What I am saying: If SR should be off in situations with recognizable signature, then detecting that signature and disabling SR should occur automatically

Pentax has instead (apparently) buried a warning deep within a manual--one that is not nearly comprehensive enough for me to do an intelligent job of assessing the relative merits of SR in a given situation. Rather, I'm just a dumb tripod detector, except that I'm also human and I'm bound to forget to disable SR sometimes when I should, and bound to forget to re-enable it when I go back to normal shooting. That means I'm going to lose two kinds of shots that a dumb--but reliable--detector would allow me to catch.

I should have done this at the start, but I have now searched the K3 Manual PDF for the words "Tripod" and then separately "Shake". I didn't spend a lot of time, but in the looking I did, I didn't find the warning. This thread starts with "I think I read..."

Does anyone have the exact wording, or a page number, so we can see the exact advice? If it is there, is it sufficiently informative that I can at least infer what the difference in my behavior should be when faced with:

1) a flimsy tripod with the center column extended
2) a great tripod with zero extension
3) Camera stably sitting on a 10 ton rock

?

Bret
A flimsy tripod is always asking for trouble although we often trade off sturdiness for weight and portability. I mentioned it in an earlier post, I often forget and leave it on when tripod shooting and I can only think of a very few occasions where I had some questionable blur which may or may not have been caused by the SR system. Since I will normally shoot dozens of shots, I can honestly say I have never "missed" a shot due to SR causing blur. The Pentax system, at least on my K10D and K5 has performed well for me and I have had some outstanding shots because the SR saved me from a slow shutter speed. I really don't think this is anything to loose sleep over.

Pentax actually does have an automatic feature. The 2 sec timer takes care of mirror lock up and turns off the SR to ensure a vibration free photo, at least as far as the camera body is concerned. Using the remote also turns off SR as does Bulb mode. I always use one of these methods for all my long exposures. That leaves you with sports, wildlife and panning shots, usually with a long lens. That's where I usually "forget" because I'm on and off the tripod and to be honest, that's where you would have the least risk because you are moving the camera, just a little less and steadier than hand holding.