Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Why turn off shake with a tripod?

I think I read in my manual to turn off SR with a tripod. Anyone know why or if it effects image quality?

12-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It can actually introduce shake into the image.

My understanding is the shake reduction system creates very tiny vibrations on its own. These normally aren't a problem, but it detects these vibrations and tries to correct for them. Correcting these vibrations causes more vibrations and it just becomes a feedback loop amplifying the original vibrations with every cycle.
12-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I think I read in my manual to turn off SR with a tripod. Anyone know why or if it effects image quality?
The camera should be perfectly still with a tripod, no movement should happen unless you touch the camera, and shake corrections would do the opposite and introduce movement. You don't have to manually turn it off anyway, the camera does it for you if set your shutter to Remote Control or 2 or 12 second delay. If you are not using a remote or a delay you are causing shake and so would SR. You can get a knockoff remote for a couple of dollars, a great investment if you are going to use a tripod.
12-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Basically, the reason why you should turn off image stabilization (vibration reduction or whatever else it is called) when using a tripod is that this feature is designed to look for camera shake and reduce it. Since there should not be any camera shake whatsoever when a camera is placed on a tripod, the camera's image stabilization feature will actively look for camera shake. This process of looking for camera shake can actually cause some vibrations (basically...camera shake in a sense). Since your camera is on a tripod, there is no need to have image stabilization turned on. And when you have your camera on a tripod, I would recommend engaging your camera's mirror lockup feature, set your camera's self-time, and use a cable or remote release. Doing all of these things will help to ensure that your images are as sharp as possible.

12-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try it! I found using SR on tripod (and monopod) made it very unsharp!
12-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The camera should be perfectly still with a tripod, no movement should happen unless you touch the camera, and shake corrections would do the opposite and introduce movement. You don't have to manually turn it off anyway, the camera does it for you if set your shutter to Remote Control or 2 or 12 second delay. If you are not using a remote or a delay you are causing shake and so would SR. You can get a knockoff remote for a couple of dollars, a great investment if you are going to use a tripod.
I would always set the camera to a 2 second or more delay for the photo to be taken. So in this situation the camera turns off it's SR by what you're saying
12-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently shot some video with the Q on a tripod and forgot to disable SR. It spoiled the video, as every few seconds or so the sensor would shift. Agree with the above suggestions to use Live View, 2-second delay, or remote release with mirror lock-up when using a tripod.

The main time I disable SR directly is when shooting handheld from a stable braced position.
12-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Try it! I found using SR on tripod (and monopod) made it very unsharp!
Even with a monopod? I found that with my monopod, there's still some slight shake because a mono is more of a support, not an absolute stabilizer. Didn't see any lack of sharpness with SR on a monopod.

12-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I would leave it on with a monopod, but a fast shutter speed works better.

The other reason to leave it off on a tripod is that the shake sensors only detect rotational movement, which isn't really possible on a tripod (if is locked down properly). So it can't correct for the typical small side-to-side vibrations you do get on a tripod anyway...
12-28-2013, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have seen both no difference whatsoever as well as tremendous un-sharpness added. Honestly, I have only seen poor results a handful of times in several years. I have not figured out what makes it occur or not.

If you have a steady tripod, it is probably better to turn off SR and not risk losing a good photo.
The worst that can happen by turning it off is no adverse effect. But by leaving it on, there is the potential of a poor result.
12-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If you are getting vibrations even on the tripod, keeping your hand on the camera to steady it and firing with your finger as normal with a fast shutter and SR off often works pretty well. Sometimes if it is windy or I'm shooting from the car window mount with a heavy lens it is almost impossible to get rid of vibrations and works best just to grip it...
12-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter

Yes, I saw bad results w/ monopod and tripod, and (thus) I personally will not use SR w/ either. However, otherwise I always use it.
12-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I would always set the camera to a 2 second or more delay for the photo to be taken. So in this situation the camera turns off it's SR by what you're saying
That is correct, the camera disables it for delay and remote shooting.
12-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

SR helps when using a monopod

My monopod handling is never rock steady, so I always leave SR on when using a m/p, especially for landscapes. SR gives me an extra 2 stops or so + a monopod another 1 or 2 stops, so I can use slow lenses even in poor light conditions. I always get good results.
12-28-2013, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

This all may be true, but that doesn't make it reasonable or acceptable.

If the stability of a tripod is so different from hand-held that shake reduction can't help but go into positive feedback / amplification, then the camera ought to be able to detect the stability and turn off the correction.

Forcing the user to effectively be the intermediary within the shake reduction system is ridiculous.

If shake ~ 0, then correction = off. That's the pseudo code. What's the code? Perhaps Pentax should put someone on that...

Bret