Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron USA Repair Service Praise

(Not sure this is posted to correct forum)
So, This is a continuation of my SP70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD Macro (IF) F/Pentax Lens story.
This lens was sent for repair and returned in their fast turnaround of three days.
When received I mounted it to my K-3 and proceeded to use the LensAlign MkII target and FocusTune 3.0 software by Michael Tapes Design to adjust the autofocus. The focus was checked at the 200mm end (where I plan to use it most) and I determined it was severely front focusing. The software outputs a graph at all AFA from -10 to +10. Unfortunately, the indicated proper adjustment looked to be about a -12 to -13.
I contacted Tamron and they immediately emailed me a return shipping label at their cost and I shipped the lens back.
A couple of days later, I received a call from Tamron. They stated the their technician was not seeing any problem with the lens and offered to email me a shipping label for my body so they could calibrate it to the lens at no additional cost to me. I was hesitant to send the body back as now is prime season for snow geese at my local wildlife preserve and did not wish to miss it. I asked the rep if it would be possible to adjust the AFA back a small amount without the body and he said they would give it a shot. They also offered to provide a third return label at no cost to me for the lens and the body if it didn't work out.
I received the lens back and proceeded to calibrate it again. This time I was able to zero in the lens at a -7.
I highly recommend the repair service to anyone who needs it. I feel they went above and beyond in their efforts to satisfy me.

Last edited by davidreilly3207; 12-30-2013 at 05:48 PM.
06-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I recently purchased a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 from someone on this forum which turned out to be considerably poorer IQ than the samples I was sent. I was hesitant to send it in for service since I read some poor reviews, but those were dated 2005 and prior. It seems they've greatly improved their customer service, if not their QA/QC process.