Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do I need A Grip?

Do I need a grip? Battery grip for a K-5 that is. What do you guys use them for? Extended battery life mostly?

12-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that question is in the category of "If you have to ask, you don't need one".

Battery life is one reason, but honestly how long does it take to change the battery? 30 seconds? And how many people routinely use more than one battery in a day's shooting? I spent a week in Yellowstone and took over 6,500 pictures and never used more than one battery per day.

Easier to shoot portrait mode is another. And possibly the best. If you shoot a lot of portraits then it might be worth it.

And if you have heavy lenses the added bulk of the grip helps to balance that. Or if your hands are larger then perhaps it is worth it to get all your fingers onto the camera.
12-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think that question is in the category of "If you have to ask, you don't need one".

Battery life is one reason, but honestly how long does it take to change the battery? 30 seconds? And how many people routinely use more than one battery in a day's shooting? I spent a week in Yellowstone and took over 6,500 pictures and never used more than one battery per day.

Easier to shoot portrait mode is another. And possibly the best. If you shoot a lot of portraits then it might be worth it.

And if you have heavy lenses the added bulk of the grip helps to balance that. Or if your hands are larger then perhaps it is worth it to get all your fingers onto the camera.
Heavy lenses...

What's biggest beastly lens you've ever used? Was it so heavy it kind of dampened the fun factor?
12-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
What's biggest beastly lens you've ever used? Was it so heavy it kind of dampened the fun factor?
The Bigma is my largest, Sigma 50-500. But I never use it without a tripod, so not an issue for me. I also have a Pentax DA*60-250 and I think it would benefit from the grip. Many of the Sigmas like 70-200 f/2.8 are big and heavy enough to justify it.

12-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My grip is on and off depending on lens. I cannot use the Sigma 70-200 without it. As for battery life...I have never had a dead battery. I charge both batteries when I remember, or before I know a heavy use day is coming. Otherwise the batteries last forever on the K5. The K5 with a large lens is much better balanced with the grip but unless you need portrait with small lenses I don't feel the need. It sure is a tiny camera when you have used the grip and a larger lens all day then take it off for an evening with a smaller lens
If you don't have any 2lb+ lenses or shoot portrait, I don't see much need.
12-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a grip for the K7 because I found it difficult to use heavy lenses with the small camera. Once I had the grip I found it really annoying. Now I am more than happy to use my cameras without a grip with even larger lenses. I have almost never had a spare battery in mine because it just adds to an already heavy bit of kit.
01-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Simply put...get a grip.

01-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If you shoot verticals hand held, you'll really benefit from a grip.
01-01-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Simply put -- no you don't
I have 2 bodies and only one grip and no matter what lens or body I still use the focus button on the back of the body and shutter button on the body the grip just is there to make the clients happy as I have a " big camera" and that makes them happy!
01-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have big hands. So, I always use the camera with grip, regardless the lens is on. More, I have an Arca Swiss L plate on, all the time.

I consider that is strictly necessary for good handling and balance, not so much for portrait photo. At least for me.
01-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a third party one for $55. I learned I didn't want a grip. I really never want the camera to be bigger, despite any benefit to it. My biggest lens is just over two pounds. It spent a lot of time in a drawer and now the controls don't work, but the battery connections are OK. If you aren't picky about camera size, the benefits are interesting.