Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Printing Basics PS / Canon All-in-One

I always just resize my photos to 1200 x 800 pixels make a few exposure and color adjustments and then post them online.

I hardly ever print.

I am using Photoshop and a very basic Canon All-in-One printer.

First of all, when printing, I don't want to resize a copy of the original, right? I should just duplicate the original same size and make any adjustments edits etc, right?

Then I click the print command in PS.

There's a caution triangle. Select color management. Says go to printer settings and disable something? Searched all through printer settings. What the heck are they talking about? Match color management.

I could print at this point, but I have a feeling it's all color misconfigurated and I will end up just wasting expensive 8x10 glossy photo paper.

Hung up at this point! HELP!

I know this is really basic stuff but a few short step by step instructions for printing versus online use would be awesome.

AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-31-2013 at 07:49 PM.
12-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me guess, you are seeing something like this:

That's what I see when I select my Canon all-in-one from Photoshop. I pressed the "Print Settings" button and changed the center dropdown to "Color Matching" and the only two options are either "Colorsync" (Apple's built-in color management) or "Canon Color Matching."

Both of these are color management methods, and they are enabled. If your dialog has a "disabled" option, choose the option that says "Canon" on it and it is enabled. This is the easiest way to keep from confusing yourself completely, and your prints will still turn out reasonably well.

BONUS TIP FOR THE END OF 2013: In that same "Print Settings" dialog, go to the center drop down and select "Quality & Media" and change the Print Quality to High and from the Media Type dropdown, find the closest thing to your paper type. Your prints will look much better, and you can even save all these settings for later use with the Presets dropdown at the top!

Color management is a black art unto itself, and while I understand it and work with it (I've been a professional print retoucher for decades), I can't explain it or help anyone else figure it out. I know how to create and use a profile for my dedicated photo printer, and I know what terms like gamut and gamma and gumshoe mean. You don't need to know this, too.

The warning triangle is only a warning, you can still print and nothing will explode or look horribly awry. The quality won't be as good as putting the (high res) images on a USB key and going to a photo store or CostCo photo print kiosk, but you'll still get decent results.

P.S. Happy New Year!

Last edited by panoguy; 12-31-2013 at 08:09 PM.
12-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes! Exactly! Awesome!

So what print settings dialog box are they talking about? This one right in front of me, or the printer software somewhere? And should Photoshop or Canon manage colors?

THANK YOU SO MUCH, MR GAMUT GUMSHOE!
12-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well , the test print came out only just so-so. It's flat. Not vibrant. Hmmm.

12-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Well , the test print came out only just so-so. It's flat. Not vibrant. Hmmm.
Don't compare the print to your monitor unless you really like disappointment.
Your monitor is shooting colored light directly at your eyes, while the print is only reflecting a bit of whatever light you are viewing it under.

The best solution for really dull prints is to go to that center drop down again and select "Color Options" and change the Color Mode to "Vivid Photo." You can also adjust individual colors here (but I recommend against doing it unless you are prepared to have all your prints look like this), and even adjust the overall brightness of the image, if it printed too dark or too light.