Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 makes a noise when rotated but only with the flash is down?

Before anyone suggests it: this is not the usual sensor shake noise. The K-30 still makes that just fine.

Basically, when the onboard flash is in the down position, rotating the camera from side to side makes a clinking or tinkling noise. Like small pieces of glass or metal falling onto each other. If the flash is in the up position, or the camera is rotated up or down, it doesn't.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this on their camera and knows what it might be. My K20D certainly doesn't make any noise like it.

01-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Before anyone suggests it: this is not the usual sensor shake noise. The K-30 still makes that just fine.

Basically, when the onboard flash is in the down position, rotating the camera from side to side makes a clinking or tinkling noise. Like small pieces of glass or metal falling onto each other. If the flash is in the up position, or the camera is rotated up or down, it doesn't.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this on their camera and knows what it might be. My K20D certainly doesn't make any noise like it.
I have never noticed, so I just tested mine, no noise. Bizarre that the flash is somehow connected, is the hotshoe loose? Try holding the hotshoe while you rotate.
01-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tested mine and indeed I get the noise too. Mine sounds like a loose piece of plastic moving about. Same circumstances, rotating side to side I get noise, front/back no noise, flash up no noise.

Odd!
01-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
I just tested mine and indeed I get the noise too. Mine sounds like a loose piece of plastic moving about. Same circumstances, rotating side to side I get noise, front/back no noise, flash up no noise.

Odd!
My K-30 does that too (it's done that since day 1). No effect on the camera's function though.

Last edited by BabyTeaLeaf; 01-03-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: sorry, I see your comment about the shake reduction system
01-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BabyTeaLeaf Quote
My K-30 does that too (it's done that since day 1). No effect on the camera's function though.
Yeah, I hadn't noticed any negative effects. I just hadn't noticed the sound before.

(Maybe it's always done that since day 1 and I just didn't notice?)
01-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
rotating the camera from side to side makes a clinking or tinkling noise. Like small pieces of glass or metal falling onto each other.
Any chance it is the orientation sensor?