Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow, thank you everyone - I think this is tied for my most liked post ever (with my Long Exposure Handheld instruction post, now made into an article - see the signature).

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
An excellent post, which I would like to see made into a sticky. I think that some beginners don't even know the questions to ask, and here these questions are.
That was 100% the intent behind this - being given the answers and being inundated and completely overwhelmed does little, and may even be counter-productive. I've always been a big believer in directing people to the questions to allow them to blaze their own way to self-discovery - makes for more long-lasting and fulfilling learning, imo. It's just the issue is that, starting out, you don't know what you don't know.

Again, thank you everyone. I hope this has helped out some of the new guys here, as like I said - I wish I knew what questions to ask when I was first twisting knobs and pushing buttons in dismay when I first got a camera

-Heie

07-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Best advice to my teenage son learning photography

Thank you Heie,
This is the best advice I can give my son, who is just getting into photography.
I believe that children must learn from their mistakes.
Frustration should give rise to resolve, to better the technique.
Our job as adults is to help them balance out the frustration with some tips and tricks so that they can overcome their fears and disappointments. This provides us great opportunity to spend some quality time with them as well. How rewarding for both.
Deba
07-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Very helpful. Thanks to people like you, good photography doesn't seem so unachievable after all. With a lot of trial and error of course.
07-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Still no bullet point for aperture

07-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Still no bullet point for aperture
Narual. please write an aperture bullet point here for reference. I'm sure Heie has been busy.
07-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No it deliberately wasn't necessary because Aperture was covered already. I'm on my phone while out atm, I'll edit this comment with a better explanation of why later.

And yes...a bit busy

-Heie

EDIT:

Aperture is already identified in the two different functions it performs - DOF control as well as balancing exposure - in my original post and thus didn't need a third mentioning. The bolded parts are quotes directly from above:

First, and most importantly, it wasn't identified directly as "Aperture," but rather "Depth of Field," as that was the learning point, with instruction on "what it means, and how to manage it...Also, how to accomplish less or more depth of field in your photos and what affords depth of field (large aperture on your lens, distance to subject, distance of subject to background, zoom/magnification all contribute to DOF control, with the first one being the most critical)."

Secondly, it was mentioned as one of the exposure parameters."...the three critical photographic settings (Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO) are in a three-way marriage. Think of the three points of a triangle that you need to always balance, as they always change depending on what your priorities are (depth of field, freezing action, etc) and more importantly and much more constraining - the amount (and quality) of light available to you when taking the shot."

"I could go on, but this seems to be a good starting point, and if you have too much to focus on, then you learn nothing, right? And once you start really learning what these tenets mean, the rest will fall into place through self-discovery."

A separate point for aperture alone would be redundant and thus provide nothing of benefit (if anything, confusing) to those whom the original post above was intended.

Last edited by Heie; 07-16-2014 at 06:11 PM.
07-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Aperture Science:
We do what we must because we can.
Sorry, guys, but I just couldn't resist the Portal reference!
11-17-2014, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Snap Tutorials - Rule of Thirds
Thanks for this, I like that article, straightforwardly explained.

12-23-2014, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is very useful, Alex, even to someone who recently matriculated from Green Mode to AV Mode .

What I like most, though, is your encouraging tone. Nicely done, thanks.
04-02-2016, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elieli87 Quote
Thanks for this, I like that article, straightforwardly explained.
Thanks! I should probably write a few more of those. I really enjoyed the ST's - just not enough time to get to everything I want to

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
This is very useful, Alex, even to someone who recently matriculated from Green Mode to AV Mode . What I like most, though, is your encouraging tone. Nicely done, thanks.
As someone that is usually chastised for being a bit too blunt and insensitive, I really appreciate that

Hope there are those that still find this useful!

-Heie
04-02-2016, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Nice, well done!
The only thing is that you kind of have to read it in an angry voice shouting at you, like chef Ramsay or something, to really get the most out of it