Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm glad it came of too. I'm think I may have been holding the release button while putting it on and it just when past the lock pin like you said before. I'd say it's aluminum because it's silver. It doesn't make sense to me why it bent.
I'm thinking I may pass on the warranty, I will give it a go though. Going to go with a reversal ring and a bellows/extension for marco (heard that works).

I did hear about the lose of light do to the amount of glass/element etc. that actually gets to the sensor called T-stop. The dXo mark site shows results of lenses Camera Lens Ratings by DxOMark - DxOMark if that's close to your idea at all. I'm thinking some people my assume a big money lens with 23 lenses and 17 groups = better IQ always, when some less expensive lens with little glass if built right can have great IQ.

Thanks for that review the more info the better, only had this dslr for 3-4 months. I started out to fast, I need to back track and slow down.

01-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lens of moderate focal length and moderate aperture (e.g., 35mm f3.5 or 50mm f/2) can do with few lens elements and have aberrations well corrected. A fast zoom needs lots of elements/complexity to control aberrations.

In the case of the adapter, the glass elements are designed to handle (adapt) a broad range of lenses and thus is not designed to do any one especially well. In some applications an adapter is made for a specific lens--and they are better--but not for your application.
01-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #18

Original Poster
Correct, that adaptor fit a wide range of Minolta lenses. It did give me a taste of 50mm, which did help me in which way to lean, where 50mm won't cut it for my needs. Being on a hill I think I may need a lens that's capable of at least 250mm. I had an old Tamron 70-210mm which didn't reach enough at times but it only has a 58mm filter thread and I couldn't crop much. Could say 200mm with a much bigger thread have more detail or IQ where I could crop more? I may be able to find/ask that on a different thread.
01-04-2014, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #19
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Filter thread has nothing to do with sharpness/resolution--only lens speed (aperture) and whether it vignettes (corners darken).

If you want a long lens then decide whether it needs to be very sharp, zoom or not, fast (large aperture), moderate in price. You cannot get all these, and if you are relatively new to this--you don't want to spend $700. and later find it was all wrong!

Think through your options/what is important to you and what is not, look at lens reviews, and then come back to this forum and discuss what your thinking is--and get our feedback. And realize we all have our set of prejudices (i.e., strong likes/dislikes).

01-04-2014, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #20
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW if you don't want/use auto focus that opens up a whole different set of (used) lenses to pick from, and there are reliable, low cost, 15 day to 30 day trial period, sources (KEH and B&H Photo, I have used/like)--and generally a much lower price point.
01-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #21

Original Poster
dms, thanks much. That info helped, say, concrete, that choosing a lens has many factors and that the final choice will be what suits my needs best, after all/everyone's views. I don't know 100% on used to the extent on warranty.
I've had a couple used to help further aid in what my direct is head. Being fairly new I feel I'll just need two/three good lenses. Research I've done so far to fit my needs has shown 400-1300/lens at list. With some digging I can find them much, much cheaper.