Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens adaptor stuck on camera

I have a K 30 (3 months old) that has a Fotodiox Pro MD-PX adaptor stuck on it which is for a Minolta MC Rokkor-X 50mm. It's always come on and off fine but on Dec. 24th when I pushed the unlock button to take it off it didn't come off. It appears to have "jumped the tracks" or came out of alignment with the mounts. Now it just turns about 90% and the lock seems to be either broke or non-operative. I've called tech support many times but it keeps saying they're closed for the holidays and the office reopens on the 2nd, it even said that today on the 3rd.

01-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I didn't know MD-mount lenses would work on a K-mount. I have several great Rokkors I'd love to try on my K-30, but not if I'm risking the camera. Please let us know how this works out for you.

Tony
01-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I didn't know MD-mount lenses would work on a K-mount. I have several great Rokkors I'd love to try on my K-30, but not if I'm risking the camera. Please let us know how this works out for you.

Tony
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html
01-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stoney Quote
I've called tech support many times
I assume you mean Pentax Tech Support. I suspect their response is going to be something like: "It's a non-Pentax part, so we can't help you".

01-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, Boris.

Tony
01-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote

Tony
Here's pics of the camera with lens and just adaptor. It went on smooth just like my pentax lens. I'm shocked that it just broke. The lens took great pics without cropping
I'm now leery of any 3rd party adaptors though.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-M919  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SGH-M919  Photo 
01-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I assume you mean Pentax Tech Support. I suspect their response is going to be something like: "It's a non-Pentax part, so we can't help you".
I see what they have to say if they ever get of vaca.
01-03-2014, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe this kind of thing is pretty common w/ non-Pentax adapters. Suggest you do a search and you will find lots of discussion and suggestions of what to do.

01-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't have the Fotodiox adapter but I do have a "no-name" glassless MD to PK adapter. I suspect it is not much different from the Fotodiox unit. Here is the back-end of the adapter:

Since the main body is basically one solid piece I don't see how anything on the adapter could have broken or come loose that would cause it to jam.

I have notice though if I hold the lens release button down while mounting the adapter I could turn it too far so that the slot for the locking pin would go past the locking pin. I suppose if I turned too far past this point it may have caused problems.

The only thing I could think of is if the flanges on the adapter had gotten on the wrong side of the springs on the mount on the camera side.

What do you mean by "90%"? It takes less than a quarter turn or an arc of 60-75 degrees before a lens/adapter can normally be removed. Are you saying it only turn about an 8th of a turn or an arc of maybe 50 degrees? Does the pin engage at all when you turn the adapter back to the "locked" position?
01-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
persistence pays

I did mean 90% or about that. It did turn all the way to where it should have come out. Well I have been wiggling it for a week no, sense your post I gave it one more wiggle and POP off it came

Blow out the cam and everything looks fine and my other lenses work.
Looks like an adaptor flange just bent and I have no idea why.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-M919  Photo 
01-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did mean 90% or about that. It did turn all the way to where it should have come out. Well I have been wiggling it for a week no, sense your post I gave it one more wiggle and POP off it came

Blow out the cam and everything looks fine and my other lenses work.
You keep saying 90% (percent). 90 percent of what? 90 percent of a full turn? 90 percent of what it used to turn? Are you perhaps confusing percent with degrees?
01-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Position it above the lens mount and confirm that where the dent is there isn't something on the camera that may have been damaged.
Needless to say I would not put that one back on the camera.
That has to be made of some very cheap metal I would think.
01-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You keep saying 90% (percent). 90 percent of what? 90 percent of a full turn? 90 percent of what it used to turn? Are you perhaps confusing percent with degrees?
Oops I sorry that I messed that up. I didn't mean %(percent) I was thinking degrees as in a quarter turn.
01-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Position it above the lens mount and confirm that where the dent is there isn't something on the camera that may have been damaged.
Needless to say I would not put that one back on the camera.
That has to be made of some very cheap metal I would think.
Thanks just did what you said and there doesn't appear to be any at least not to the important things like contacts and stuff. What's weird is that it bent away from the lens like when it come off before. It must be pretty cheep/weak metal.
01-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm glad you were able to remove it finally. Can you tell what the adapter is made of? Aluminum or brass? It does seem odd that it would bend for no apparent reason. You may want to contact Fotodiox's customer service and see if they will replace it. However their warranty on the website reads:

QuoteQuote:
All products carry a 2 Year / 24 month Warranty from Fotodiox. Our warranty provides coverage for defects in manufacturing only. Our warranty expressly excludes coverage for excessive wear and tear and/or physical/accidental abuse, loss or theft.
They may claim "abuse". You'll just have to convince them otherwise. Politeness usually helps.

BTW some of their adapters the glass is removable if you just want to do macro work without the loss of image quality caused by the optical element(s). It is common wisdom that the optical element(s) will cause some loss of quality. It would be nice if somebody would actually do so tests to show how much of a loss there is. I've been looking for such tests but haven't found any yet. I'm beginning to think many people are overly obsessed with "image quality".

You can read my "review" of the glassless adapter here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...ml#post2356857