Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

New k-500 won't shoot on occasion ...

I'm new at this and just got my k-500 for Christmas. I love the camera and have been having fun with it but lately it seems to freeze for no particular reason. I'm pushing the button to shoot and nothing happens. If I turn the camera off, it will likely shoot but seems slow to do so. We changed the batteries and at first thought that seemed to help but something still seems off. If I didn't know any better I'd say the issue seems to arise when I'm pointing the camera at a downward angle … but no idea why that should impact anything.

Any ideas? I realize this is probably user error but just don't know what I'm doing wrong...

01-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have it set to only take the photo if the image is in focus? I think it's under custom settings… Focus Priority vs Release Priority.

And since you say you're new at it -- you do know that you hold the button halfway down to engage autofocus, and then the rest of the way once the image is in focus, right? If you just jab the button, it's not always going to complete focus before it's expected to take the picture, not to mention you're shaking the camera a bit just when it needs to be held perfectly still.
01-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Do you have it set to only take the photo if the image is in focus? I think it's under custom settings… Focus Priority vs Release Priority.

And since you say you're new at it -- you do know that you hold the button halfway down to engage autofocus, and then the rest of the way once the image is in focus, right? If you just jab the button, it's not always going to complete focus before it's expected to take the picture, not to mention you're shaking the camera a bit just when it needs to be held perfectly still.
That's helpful. Let me check into that setting. Thanks for all the suggestions! Your help is VERY appreciated.

I'll post back if one of those doesn't do the trick.