Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

memory card demands to be re-formatted every time

Everytime I plug my card into my Mac, upload images, then replace the card into the K-30, it tells me to reformat before it will allow me to shoot again.

Reformatting it works just fine... but i bought a 64gb card for a reason - not having to delete images off the card. I like to save my sd cards in a fireproof safe like negatives instead of reusing them over and over. they contain family snapshots that are irreplaceable and I do not want to format the card ever.

this error is kinda screwing with my archive.

help?

01-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Why don't you just buy an external hdd to store your precious pics? SSD type if you are that serious.

I format my cards every time I come back from shooting. I've read that otherwise, you risk jamming your card and that is the least thing I want.
01-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would rather not use my SD card as archive or storage device as it is the most expensive option compare to other means/formats. Instead, I would rather backup all my precious photos to an external hard drive (or SSD drive) and may be even burn a DVD as second backup.
01-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree with the replies that SD card is not a effective, safe option for archiving. But this doesn't answer the OP's question.
What SD card is this? Do you plug it into the computer, an external card reader? Do you only copy the photos onto the hard drive, or do you do other things as well?

01-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
ex-HD's and cd's take up a lot more space than a tiny SD card and my h2o/fireproof safe is only so big. I'm aware of the issues that could arise from not formatting a sd card regularly but in all my years of playing with dslrs this has only happened once and only partial data was lost after using the same card for 100+ shoots and never formatting. I use an ex-hd to backup everything (but it sits on my desk, so if fire or flood happened it would be lost) and gold-cdr's for truly important individual projects. BUT - My method of archiving is not your concern.

thank you Na Horuk for actually paying attention the the question at hand.

sd card - sandisk xc i.
I plug the card directly into my Mac's built in card reader slot. I only transfer files to my computer's hd and then eject the card and replace it into the camera. i do not want to have to format the card every single time I use it.
01-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Try formatting it on the Mac.
01-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does your camera/Mac combo. do this any other SD card? If not it may be something wrong with the SD and you could pursue it with the SD manufacturer.
01-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if the Mac's reader is writing something to the card before/after the files are copied. Seems odd. Have you tried transferring the image files by USB cable? (less convenient, for sure, but it might obviate the need to reformat).

01-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
i was thinking of trying the usb method but i can't find the one size i need for the k-30. i have dozens of usb cords sitting here but none of them fit >

with my canon/compact flash card- i use the usb method, but ive also used external card readers with no issue. the larger compact flash doesn't have a corresponding slot in the mac so i never do the remove/transfer/replace routine with that camera.

i have a feeling orchidjulie may be on to something. ill clean my desk and see if i can hunt down a correct usb cable.
01-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can find a cable, give it a try. Might isolate the problem to the reader rather than to the card or camera. Card readers can be finicky beasts, and many (most?) of the older ones do not get on well with late-model (SDHC) cards. I've had to replace an external reader for that reason (no onboard reader on the computer).
01-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Try formatting it on the Mac.
might be worth a try. do you know how to do this?
01-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
did the format using Mac - placed the card in the k-30, it told me it still needed to be formatted. i did via k-30. took a photo, then uploaded image via card inserted into mac, replaced card into k-30. No format demand! so weird. hopefully that assbackwards formatting did the trick. I'll still hunt down the usb plug and try that.

thanks for the suggestions for different formatting tricks. ill let ya'll know if the error happens again.
01-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Make sure your Mac settings for the card are set to read only. Both PC and Mac can play games with your cards if you overlook a setting where it deletes the files it imports or some such.
01-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

There is a switch on the side of your card to put it in locked position. Try switching it to that, upload your photos then switch it back to unlocked prior to reinserting it into you camera.

Ps.. it is never advisable to format your cards with your computer.

Also external drives are so small now they would fit in most small safes, the cost for a WD 2TB external is approx $119 vs around $62 up for a 64gb Extreme SDs. IMO that is a lot of $$$ to spend on cards to get the same storage, something like 31 or 32@ $62 per card that's around $1,984.00. For that you could buy an external HD and a bigger safe. Plus SD cards screw up a whole lot easier with re-use than HD's. Stop and think you are putting those valuable photo's you want make sure you keep safe by putting in a safe but every time you insert that card for reuse in your camera you stand the chance of losing them. You would be better off buying smaller cards using them once to take your photos and stick them in the safe after you upload them. There is no sure cure for keeping your photos completely safe, that is why it is advisable to have several methods for storage.
01-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Yes, some computers might automatically do something to your card (to "prepare" it for "optimal" use). You can try looking at these things and limiting them, but this depends on your specific hardware and software.
Maybe it would also help if you used an external card reader that you connect via USB? These can be slow, but a good one should be very reliable