Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

PEF files

My K5 is scheduled to arrive in about a week and in the mean time I want to see if I can become familiar with the Pentax photo laboratory, however I don't have any PEF files to open with it (only have NEF as just switched from Nikon)

does any one know where I can download some PEF images for me to edit and see if I can get to know the workings of the photo lab?

01-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PM me. I'll send you a couple of mine. Describe what you want - scenery? High ISO?
01-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Why the Pentax software? You'll find you can open or convert .pef files in other software from Adobe, etc.
01-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
PM me. I'll send you a couple of mine. Describe what you want - scenery? High ISO?
Thank you for your offer Canada_Rockies but the site wont allow me to PM you until I make some more posts (I only joined today)

01-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Why the Pentax software? You'll find you can open or convert .pef files in other software from Adobe, etc.
I was aware of this, I just wanted to see how the Pentax software was in comparison to raw processing in light room or Nikons View NX 2
01-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan.wadsworth Quote
the workings of the photo lab?
Not an answer to your question, however:

I believe you will find almost any other software far more satisfying and user-friendly, though I suppose you will need to determine that yourself. I started on v3.51 and I am up to v4.33. I migrated to Elements after v3.51, as PL was lacking in some basic functions (like cloning). Photolab processing results aside, the interface is unwieldy, and operationally it frequently hangs in directories with more than a few hundred photos - even after upgrading to the version that supposedly "fixed" that. Even chimping PEF files is tedious - 5 seconds or more to load an image.

For chimping (fast) and renaming files (easy) , and on the netbook for vacation backups and viewing, I use www.faststone.org. It also allows up to 4 images to be compared at one time. I've never used it to convert a file, though reportedly it is very capable. Did I say free?

I still use Photolab for making the exif list, and moving files (because it sees the 3rd file made by Elements) which I like to do "visually" rather than with a regular file manager.

Maybe it will work out for you - there are a couple fans of it on the forum.
01-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan.wadsworth Quote
Thank you for your offer Canada_Rockies but the site wont allow me to PM you until I make some more posts (I only joined today)
E-mail sent

01-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think you can also find K-5 raw files on a couple review websites, even from some reviews on these forums. And the K-5 can also save raw as DNG, which allows some more compatibility
01-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/123379-sample-pef-downloads.html
01-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

You may want to set your raw photos to DNG instead of PEF. The camera is much faster than allowing Lightroom to change from PEF to DNG. I am not sure how long we will have DNG, but I bet longer than we will have PEF.
01-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

True, I think some Pentax cameras already only have DNG and no option for PEF at all
01-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
True, I think some Pentax cameras already only have DNG and no option for PEF at all
The K-30 for certain only does allows DNG as its RAW format. (And I assume likely the same for the K-50 as well.)
01-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3 still does PEF or DNG, K-50 has only DNG.

Ricoh made the first compact camera to use DNG. Pentax was the first reasonably priced DSLR (K10D). I see that as good news for continued DNG use for Ricoh and Pentax.