Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ant Quote
Thanks for all the advice - I see quite a few recommendations for the K-r but on looking at its review on the forum there appears to be a lot of AF issues with it. I'm leaning toward getting a K-x for her as that seems to get good reviews, be more user friendly than the K7 and would suite a learner - or am I mistaken ?
Pentax tried upgrading the AF logic in the K-r and original K-5. The AF systems were slightly different but results were similar. Many users complained about AF errors, particularly in tungsten light. These issues were hard to nail down exactly, because focus is tricky anyway and in low light/low color temperatures, everything is working against perfect focus. The complaints died out after new cameras came out.

I bought my brother a used K-r at the height of the complaints and could not duplicate the problem. He hasn't seen it either in a couple of years use. So my conclusion was that all cameras weren't affected to the same degree.

01-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #32
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K20d and the k-x, main problems w/ the k-x (and thus the K-r) for me are the ergonomics, small viewfinder (it's a mirror, not a prism), and very poor SR compared to the K20d. I do mostly low light (theatre) and my keeper rate is 10x's higher with K20d. I suggest you go to the later cameras (K-30, etc.), and pink of course.
01-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think $300 for a K7 is just too much. Shop around.
01-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I don't have a k7, but most reports seem to indicate that the k5 and similar-sensor cameras were a huge jump in functionality, so you might hold out for that generation sensor. When I compare my k200 (or older k100) images with the k5, there's a significant change in dynamic range and another stop or two in effective ISO capability.

01-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Never get a color that she will be embarrassed with when she is older, and will be hard to sell. Just look at this seller trying to sell a pink K-r. Good luck with that!
You know I like that camera actually. I'm not a K-r fan. Nor am I as crazy about the blue part, wish it was all pink with black, but the pink thing overall still works for me. I like the pink and black lenses. That's cute. I would not be embarrassed at all to shoot with a pink Pentax. Pink is actually on my list of colors I'd like to have a camera in maybe. It's not as high as say Kelly green, purple or red, but still I like the Pentax hot pink and I can't say I don't. That particular color of pink is almost Schiaparelli pink actually. It's one of the few shades of pink I actually do like a lot...
01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I think $300 for a K7 is just too much. Shop around.
That's actually what I've seen them going it, at $300 or just under it lately. I like the K-7 a lot. I think it's still got potential to be as very useful camera if you can find one in good shape and if you can't afford a K-5, I'd say it's still a good bang for your buck.
01-06-2014, 04:15 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
That's cute. I would not be embarrassed at all to shoot with a pink Pentax.
Although pink has recently been associated with the Koman breast cancer effort, it probably is associated more as a "Hello Kitty" color. Most older teens and adults would be abhorred carrying around a "Hello Kitty" colored camera.

Last edited by tomwil; 01-06-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added word
01-06-2014, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

I think you'd be surprised at how many people might like a DSLR camera in a hot pink color with black. Hot pink has long been a color associated with high fashion. It's not just about Barbie or Hello Kitty. This is the K-r in the darker Pentax pink that they used. I would not care for a DSLR in baby pink. Or baby blue or yellow. But this, this I would shoot with. Pink and black can be very chic. It's not always a cartoon thing. Actually when I see hot pink and black I think of Schiaparelli hat boxes, mid 20th century couture like Jackie O and her famous Chanel suit...

http://shashinki.com/shop/images/PTX-KR-1855-PK.jpg

http://www.prices4antiques.com/item_images/medium/42/38/06-01.jpg

01-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #39
Ant

Original Poster
Thanks to all contributors for your varied and interesting responses. Based on the majority of advice, I've decided not to get a K7 and let my daughter continue to play with my little Pentax X5 "bridge" camera which I bought prior to getting my K5. The X5 is easy to use and takes surprisingly good shots. I'll monitor her level of interest and possibly give her my K5 and upgrade to either the K5iiS or the K3 for myself. I see from posts on this forum that the jury is out on that comparison..i.e. K5iiS v K3 - I'm sure that will spark a whole lot more debate LOL
01-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
Thanks to all contributors for your varied and interesting responses. Based on the majority of advice, I've decided not to get a K7 and let my daughter continue to play with my little Pentax X5 "bridge" camera which I bought prior to getting my K5. The X5 is easy to use and takes surprisingly good shots. I'll monitor her level of interest and possibly give her my K5 and upgrade to either the K5iiS or the K3 for myself. I see from posts on this forum that the jury is out on that comparison..i.e. K5iiS v K3 - I'm sure that will spark a whole lot more debate LOL
I think you have made a very good decision.

My first DSLR was a K7 I purchased back in November 2010. This past Christmas my family helped me replace it with a K3. The K7 is an incredible camera, provided that you are comfortable living with its faults. However, I would say it is best to save more money towards a camera with a better sensor.
01-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
Is she shooting with the camera set to Auto? If so, then the camera will be capable of a lot more once she learns to actual take control of it.