Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help for unresponsive 4 way controller

Sometimes, it's difficult to find the help you need for the exact problem you're experiencing. And it's always easy to get side-tracked and fooled into thinking the problem is something other than what it actually is. Today I spent several hours trying to solve the situation where my K-5 suddenly decided to ignore any key press I made on the 4-way controller. My side trip entailed writing down every setting I had changed in the various menus and then doing all the resets contained therein, followed by setting things back as I had them before.

Yet the problem persisted. For whatever reason I decided to look through the viewfinder while I pushed one of the directional buttons and it was then I noticed the focus indicator moving around the screen. Aha, a clue! It had been so long since I've used anything other than spot focus that I had forgotten how selective focus worked. I looked and sure enough I had somehow moved the switch to SEL. Moving it back to spot focus solved the problem, of course.

Now, I know this behavior has been discussed many times before. But it's sometimes instructive and informative to move it to the forefront of our (read that MY) feeble minds.

01-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I had not used my P&S for ages, and set it to movie mode and pressed the shutter. No movie. I should have pressed the red dot on the screen...
01-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I only started using the SEL mode over the last few months. I find it a little annoying that I can't seem to remember what mode the directional buttons are in. I go to adjust the ISO or flash mode and whoops, just changed my focus point. Or vice-versa. I believe this has been improved on the K-3, but not ready to upgrade to that yet.

Someone mentioned on another thread that it would be nice to leverage buttons used by the left hand to change the function of buttons/dials on the right, something like the AF mode selection on the K-3. That makes sense to me. Seems like it would be easier if one set of key presses would always do the same thing, rather than have to hold down the OK button for 2 seconds to change state from whatever it was before (and my memory isn't that good :-).

This has probably been discussed before, I'm probably just ranting on ...
01-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For years I used just center spot focusing but recently started leaving my camera set in the select focusing mode. Just kind of experimenting with this instead of center focus then recompose for still objects.

There are 2 indicators that tell you when you are in the focus select mode (on my K-5IIs). First on the rear screen lower right the focus select area block will be outlined in blue with 4 arrows pointing in each direction when it is active - the blue border and arrows are not preset when not active. Also in the viewfinder there is an icon to the left of the shutter speed which is active when in the focus select mode.

Another reason I have been leaving it in select mode is now I am experimenting with the advanced tracking mode in AF-C which needs the select focus mode enabled. So now that I still shoot mostly in center spot focus, I can still quickly use a different focus point or the advanced tracking.

01-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Thanks for pointing out the indicators in the viewfinder and the back LCD.

Usually I need to looking at the 4-way pad directly to see the legend so my eye isn't up to the viewfinder. But I can see how the VF indicator would be useful for those who are really good with it and don't need to look at the buttons.

As far as the back LCD, I have had that turned off, mostly because I am self-conscious and think that I will look too amateurish, by showing everyone my shutter, aperture, and ISO in big numbers -- but now that I am using SEL, that is a good reason to leave it on!
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. It took me ages to work out and only by looking in the viewfinder did I see realise what was causing it

Jeff
01-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Seems like it would be easier if one set of key presses would always do the same thing, rather than have to hold down the OK button for 2 seconds to change state from whatever it was before
You are talking about the K-30, right? I've programmed the RAW / Fx Button to activate the focus point selection mode. So I don't need to push the OK button for 2 seconds anymore to enter that mode and then repress for 2 seconds to exit it - just push the RAW / Fx button, change the point and then repress to exit it.

If you want to reuse the center focus point - one push RAW / Fx, then OK button centers, then again RAW./ Fx.

I like it this way (I use the AF / AE-L button for Autofocus, not the "half-press" method).
02-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Sometimes, it's difficult to find the help you need for the exact problem you're experiencing. And it's always easy to get side-tracked and fooled into thinking the problem is something other than what it actually is. Today I spent several hours trying to solve the situation where my K-5 suddenly decided to ignore any key press I made on the 4-way controller. My side trip entailed writing down every setting I had changed in the various menus and then doing all the resets contained therein, followed by setting things back as I had them before.

Yet the problem persisted. For whatever reason I decided to look through the viewfinder while I pushed one of the directional buttons and it was then I noticed the focus indicator moving around the screen. Aha, a clue! It had been so long since I've used anything other than spot focus that I had forgotten how selective focus worked. I looked and sure enough I had somehow moved the switch to SEL. Moving it back to spot focus solved the problem, of course.

Now, I know this behavior has been discussed many times before. But it's sometimes instructive and informative to move it to the forefront of our (read that MY) feeble minds.
Same thing just happened to me and thanks to the op I've fixed it, (after an hour of fiddling with things ) A big thanks to the op for posting their experience.

02-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My pleasure, Dennis. I've read possibly a bazillion helpful posts in these forums; it feel snice to give back, even if it only helps one person!

Jeff