Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have seen some sample focusing screens that one can order, but I want one that doesn't blur out everything except the small center circle. I want to see the big picture AND get something like a split-prism. But that's another thread, I guess.

I am nearsighted, shooting pics with progressive lens glasses. Have to have the glasses on. They are a bit scratched, but I keep getting econoline glasses at the optometrist every so often. Not cheap, just not top-of-the-line.

01-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys know you can buy glasses dirt cheap online, right? 39dollarglasses.com, eyebuydirect.com, goggles4u.com, zennioptical.com are the ones I've used. You can get single vision lens and frame for under ten bucks in some cases.

The markup on eyeglasses is absolutely ridiculous. Frames that cost $5-25 to make are sold for $100-800; lenses have similar markups.

If you have a lot of problem with them getting scratched, Goggles4u has a 1.71 index mineral glass lens option (I think it's a $30 or so charge over their normal CR39 plastic). They're a little bit heavier than the various plastic lenses, but thinner than most of them, and they don't get scratched.

Like Jim Johnson, I have astigmatic vision… no taking off the glasses for me, no matter how much diopter correction I add.
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am very aware of online glasses and I know that it is an option for many people, but I prefer to try on my glasses in person. I tried zenni optical and had a nightmare experience; first, my glasses were shipped to someone else, and then they were re-routed to me—broken. That is not to say that everyone will have that type of experience, but I have since opted for the cheapest glasses I can get at my optometrist's optical shop.
01-11-2014, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got my Pentax K50 today! I set the viewfinder's dioptric correction all the way to the negative side and it works. I can see clearly through the viewfinder without glasses. And since almost all of my K-glass is manual, I'm gonna need that KatzEye focus screen next.
Meanwhile, I found one of the genuine Pentax viewfinder magnifiers and ordered it. Should be here soon. Even if I don't need it on the K50 (yet), I can use it on any of the old K bodies.

I have a big head, so I always have to argue with the optician to get glasses that fit. I like the idea of ordering glasses online, but I probably won't do it. I have an optician within walking distance. He deserves a little business just for being in my neighborhood.

01-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
I am very aware of online glasses and I know that it is an option for many people, but I prefer to try on my glasses in person. I tried zenni optical and had a nightmare experience; first, my glasses were shipped to someone else, and then they were re-routed to me—broken. That is not to say that everyone will have that type of experience, but I have since opted for the cheapest glasses I can get at my optometrist's optical shop.
wow, that sounds like one time when I ordered something from Amazon. People should never, ever try that place.

Or any of its competitors, either!