Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #1

Getting blanks on my film

So I bought a Pentax Asahi Spotmatic F today and loaded some film into it and started shooting to test if it was fully functioning and working after I was done with my roll of film, there were no photos on the film it was like completely blank. The film is quite old I found it in a cupboard which was owned by my dad and it was probably from 2 centuries ago or maybe 3 even. Is the film expired? or something wrong with the camera? The film is Konica Super 100 VX

01-06-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure about the age of the film. I think quality will detoriate but it should still record something (just a feel, might be wrong though).

Did you set the shutterspeed and aperture for correct exposure?

It should be very easy to check your camera (no film in it). Take the lens of and shoot while looking in the mount. Does the mirror go up and down when you shoot? Does the shutter open and close? You can also shoot while the back is open and look completely through the camera to see what happens.
01-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Sounds like it probably wasn't winding the film on. Did the rewind knob on the left turn every time you advanced a frame? This is very important to check on a film camera as it's a common problem, indicating that the film wasn't loaded properly.

Even with a very old film I'd expect some kind of image, though if you exposed it at box speed it would probably come out very under-exposed.
01-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I'm not sure about the age of the film. I think quality will detoriate but it should still record something (just a feel, might be wrong though).

Did you set the shutterspeed and aperture for correct exposure?

It should be very easy to check your camera (no film in it). Take the lens of and shoot while looking in the mount. Does the mirror go up and down when you shoot? Does the shutter open and close? You can also shoot while the back is open and look completely through the camera to see what happens.
Yup Ive done all that and checked. Might see whats gonna happen when I buy fresh film.

01-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Sounds like it probably wasn't winding the film on. Did the rewind knob on the left turn every time you advanced a frame? This is very important to check on a film camera as it's a common problem, indicating that the film wasn't loaded properly.

Even with a very old film I'd expect some kind of image, though if you exposed it at box speed it would probably come out very under-exposed.
isnt the knob to advance frame on the right? and to rewind after you're done on the left? :S
01-06-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What do you mean it was blank? Was it as if it was never used, or was it burned out, completely white overexposure?
It could be possible that you made a mistake when getting the film back into the canister. I am not sure about that specific camera model, but some SLRs require a button combination when you rewind the film, or they will overexpose everything. Try finding a manual for that camera
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
but some SLRs require a button combination when you rewind the film, or they will overexpose everything.
Huh?

To the OP...Have you confirmed that the shutter is operational? You can do that by dry firing the shutter with the back open and looking forward through the lens from the back (aperture full open) at a bright scene. Even at the top speed you should see light through lens. Repeat for all speeds.

If the shutter is opening, the above comments regarding fail to wind onto the take-up spool apply. Everyone who has ever owned a 35mm film camera has had that problem at least once.

Steve

01-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewmaiphoto Quote
isnt the knob to advance frame on the right? and to rewind after you're done on the left? :S
Ummmm...yes, but the rewind knob should rotate with each stroke of the wind lever. If it doesn't, that is an indication that the film is not being taken up by the wind spool.

Steve
01-06-2014, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

In case you dont have one, here's a copy of the manual

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_spotmatic_f.pdf
01-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh?

To the OP...Have you confirmed that the shutter is operational? You can do that by dry firing the shutter with the back open and looking forward through the lens from the back (aperture full open) at a bright scene. Even at the top speed you should see light through lens. Repeat for all speeds.

If the shutter is opening, the above comments regarding fail to wind onto the take-up spool apply. Everyone who has ever owned a 35mm film camera has had that problem at least once.

Steve
Yes the shutter has opened for every speed and seems totally fine and operational
01-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ummmm...yes, but the rewind knob should rotate with each stroke of the wind lever. If it doesn't, that is an indication that the film is not being taken up by the wind spool.

Steve
So you're saying every time I stroke the lever to advance the film I should see the rewind knob rotate?
Right now Im out of film and cant test that out.
01-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So you're saying every time I stroke the lever to advance the film I should see the rewind knob rotate?
Yep.

It is all in the manual (see Oldbayrunner's comment above).

Steve
01-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yep.

It is all in the manual (see Oldbayrunner's comment above).

Steve
Weird...I don't see it rotate. Im winding the lever right now oh and theres no film in the camera.
01-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Weird...I don't see it rotate. Im winding the lever right now oh and theres no film in the camera.
It won't rotate without film loaded in the camera. Next time you load up a roll, make sure it rotates after you close the back and advance to the first frame. If it doesn't, the film may not be loaded correctly.
01-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The film starts in the can and as you take photos is wound onto the takeup spool (righthand side of camera when viewed from back)
After you've finished the roll you turn the rewind knob to wind it back onto the original spool inside the canister.
As you take photos the rewind knob should slowly turn the opposite way to the arrow as the film is unwound (it may not do it the first few shots as there is a bit of slack)

The button underneath simply unlocks the takeup spool to allow the film to wind back into the canister (it's a safety thing to prevent accidentally winding back and double exposing shots)

It very much sounds like the film didn't wind onto the takeup properly, it happens to everybody.

The other thing, and please forgive me if this question seems blindingly obvious (but some people have never, ever used film before, so might not be aware)

The film has been developed hasn't it?
You didn't just finish the roll, rewind it, and then take the film out of the canister expecting photos?

(again, sorry if it's obvious, but I've met some people who've never even seen a roll of film, let alone have a concept of how you get images onto it)