Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Buying first DSLR

Hello all,
New to the forum.
I am looking at finally getting a DSLR after several years of owning just a small Olympus point and shoot for digital. Family and money constraints have mostly held me back from getting a DSLR. But I've been looking at some (primarily the K2000) on ebay and it looks like I can get into a DSLR pretty reasonably if I buy a used camera.
I have a few manual lenses for my old K1000 - Pentax 50, Toyo 28-75, & 75-150 zoom, and a Sigma 400 tele that I would like to be able to use to start with at least, so the Pentax has a great advantage in that their dslr's are all k mount.
the K2000 seems like a pretty good starter, fairly basic, uses standard AA batteries, most have a couple of lenses in a package to start with - I'm guessing that's how they were sold new.
I'd really like to stay under $200 to get started if possible.
I'd sure like some input/thoughts on pros and cons of the K2000 or if there are other models that I should be considering.
Part of the reason I loved my old K1000 was the simplicity and ease of use of the camera, I also have a Minolta Maxxum that I was never really comfortable with, I used it quite a lot, but it was never a favorite. (if the body hadn't cracked on my K1000, I probably wouldn't have used it at all!)
thanks for any idea's/feedback,
Dan

01-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to find a K-x for around $200 and it is a much better camera than the K2000.
01-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You should be able to find a K-x for around $200 and it is a much better camera than the K2000.
Yup. The K-x has video and live view, a faster top shutter speed, and a much better sensor. Definitely get one of those IMO!

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-m vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup. K-x. You might have to shop & be patient.

01-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would suggest going through KEH since they offer a 6 month warranty on their used products. They happen to have a K-x at the moment.
Pentax Digital Camera Bodies - KEH.com
01-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like another nice camera is available here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/245316-sal...-k-x-body.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The K-x has a huge advantage at higher ISOs, the equivalent to film speed. You can get excellent shots at ISOs where the K2000 is just barely hanging on. It's worth going over budget slightly. You'd pay a great deal more to get faster lenses that would give you similar low-light ability. The extra 2 Mp is not important. A lot of the non-sensor specs are the same between models.

You also will probably want a DA 18-55mm lens for inexpensive wide angle coverage. KEH has the L version for $35, the typical kit lens sold with either K2000 or K-x. The sensor is smaller than film, so your old lenses aren't very wide on the new camera. If you are not going to use a film camera at the same time as a DSLR, I recommend skipping all the threads explaining "focal length equivalence". Just get the 18-55 and see how it works for you. It also allows you to use a lot of your new camera's features that aren't available with some older lenses.
01-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

Definitely the K-x. I started with a K2000 and followed up with the K-x. It's without a doubt much better.

But I did have some problems with rechargeable batteries, and found that lithium ions were the best and pretty long lasting. When using rechargeables then Eneloops worked best for me.

01-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum! Since everyone is championing the K-x, I would just like to say that the K-r is a slightly tweaked version of the K-x. The K-r is a little larger, but it has the same sensor. The main improvement is that it shows you AF point overlays in the viewfinder, and that it was made after the K-x (so the units are less old). A used K-x or used K-r will cost almost the same. I don't know why the K-x is more popular than the K-r - on paper, the K-r should be better and costs almost the same. Oh, and I think both of these allow the use of AA batteries, with an adapter.
The K-m has an older CCD sensor. Some people like the way CCD sensors render colours, but these sensors do not allow live view and movie recording. Depends on what your priorities are, I guess. But digital cameras are evolving quickly, and each new generation offers something the previous ones didn't.

Either way, we are glad another Pentax SLR shooter decided to go digital and join the forums

Oddly enough, the K-30 and even K-5 can be found pretty "cheap" these days (though, still double the cost of a K2000) and they will fulfill your needs for a couple years at least - great 16MP sensor, weather resistant, and high end features. Just sayin', might be worth the stretch

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi

K-x is great, but since you are looking at the used market.

I can assure you a lot of noobs out there discard their great Pentax cameras for a lot more cheaper than they should be.

So check out other models like Pentax K-50 or a K-5 as mentioned above by Na Horuk.

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting.

Cheers!
01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Lots of info here to digest. This has given me lots to consider and first off it sounds like I should step up past the K2000 to at least the K-x! I will keep checking and when i finally make a decision I'll post it here!
01-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're in no rush, go to the Buy/Sell tab at the top of this page. Click it and a drop-down menu will appear. Click 'Pentax items for sale'. At the top of the new screen, you will see a black box with 'Watch New Keyword'. You can enter items you want in the search box and get notification if someone is posting the equipment you want. You can also go to 'Wanted Pentax Items' in the Buy/Sell tab and list your needs there.
01-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 or the k-50..........
01-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Yos
Veteran Member

Another vote for the K-r! But if you find a good deal for a K-30 go for it
01-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another vote for the K-x. Great IQ, excellent low-light/high ISO capability, nice ergonomics, compact. I've had two of 'em for a couple of years now & don't feel the upgrade bug yet. They do everything I need them to do. And you can get one cheap. Gotta like that.

Nothing against the K-r, but personally I would prefer the K-x, just because the K-r has had some reported mirror flop issues.