Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #31

Don't use canned air

One caveat I have yet to see in this thread is never to use the canned air typically used to blow gunk out of keyboards etc. The propellant in the canned air can crud up your sensor even more.

02-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Karen:

Not knowing where you are, if in the NYC area, try Phototech, in Manhattan. THey do a nice job and cleaning the innards and stuff, and especially the sensor. Their price is not excessive. If you happen to be at the PhotoPlus show in the Fall, the last two years they have done the cleaning at the show for half price!

Good luck!
03-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Karen Cook Quote
I recently tried to clean my K-3 sensor with a camera brush. The brush left bristles and more dust debris on the sensor, now my sensor is a mess and can not take pictures. Can someone pls help me solve this mistake, I really appreciate it.
This makes me sick.

Thank you.
Karen
Hi Everyone, I finally had to send my Pentax K 3 in for repair. To found out they had to order a new fresnel for the camera body, and a new motor for my DA* 50-135 lens. Thank you for all your support.
03-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Ouch! Hopefully, it won't be too bad.

03-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #35
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Said it before, the Pentax gumby wand is the best for home use, with no chance of damaging anything as there's no bristles, dust blowing around or anything sharp.

Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

If I was in your situation, I would stop doing anything more and pay a camera shop to clean it.
FWIW, I've tried Eclipse and other wet swabs but with my old shaky hands, the O-ICK1 works best. I use a Giotto with no Ill effect. I never touch the mirror with anything but air. I keep the SR activated at start-up. I've had miserable things that seemingly wouldn't go away but eventually did with the above combinations and patience. I never try to save a few pennies/dollars by re-using a pad or a section of the Pentax pad.
But if my sensor looked like that, I would probably panic, pack and ship to a reliable shop. Hope you get a solution to this.

Last edited by jac; 03-23-2014 at 07:35 AM.
03-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Problem with brushes is that they get very easily dirty and they are prone to A LOT of dust!
Once you got dust on them, is almost impossible to clean them properly...
For what it's worth, I've been using this method for about three years with the same brushes, and it still works great every time. Haven't had to do a wet cleaning yet.
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The automatic sensor cleaning on the K5 is very good. I still have to find the first dust spot after 2 years. And yes, I swap lenses quite regularly And with the camera mount facing up.
Hi Sterretjie

I had my K5 for six months and cringe every time I shoot at F11. Lots of dust and that is with the automatic sensor cleaning on and a blower. Hope to get my Pentax gel kit next week. No reputable shop in this area that I know of

03-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't panic too much

You didn't put dirt on your sensor, your sensor is behind several layers, the top most of which is a sheet of glass called schott glass.

This sheet of glass filters out the infrared light and is bonded to the sensor.

You have sensor behind usually 3 layers of filters - bayer array filter, anti aliasing filter, schott glass IR filter(infra red filtration). I know of few sensors that you can touch physically, unless theyve been hacked to remove the protective filters for infra red photography and anti aliasing.

So any cleaning you do is the cleaning a glass sheet that is protecting your sensor.

I would suggest therefore that you can try the recommended cleaning tips once more, using care of course.
03-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekmadge Quote
I personally would feel comfortable user the blower bulb device I used with film but wouldn't be so, user a powered and strong blower. Does that distinction need to be made here?
I have been using a Rocket Blower type for several years and it works great. Power is not an issue. As noted above, canned air is a BIG NO!

Steve