Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Karen, Welcome to the forum!
Don't despair, it sounds like you didn't do any permanent damage. Here's my suggestion;
Close up the camera and don't use it for a few days, but make sure the battery is charged.
Click on B+H camera (it's a site sponsor, there's links everywhere) When you get on the store site, do a search for "Sensor Cleaning tools".
Whoa! Pages and pages of stuff, right? But you really only need a few things, and they're not just useful for your current problem, they're pretty much basic sensor-care essentials, ones you will use regularly, as long as you own a DSLR.
1) This is number 1 for a reason; It's the first thing you use, anytime you clean the camera innards. A 'Rocket Blower', Giottos is the most popular brand.
2) Sensor Cleaning Brush. I don't know what your brother gave you, but the real ones go for about $30-$50 each, and as you've seen, are worth it! These won't shed and if used properly, won't leave any debris or gunk behind.
2) Sensor-Cleaning swabs, a set of 4 should do for now. Make sure they're made for APS-C sensors, I believe it's type 2. Eclipse brand is my favorite, there are several other good ones.
You can also find most of these in a well-equipped camera store if there's one nearby, but you'll pay a little more.
When you have all the tools, take the brush out and give the bristles several strong blasts with the Rocket blower. This generates a small electrical charge and attracts dust. Put the brush back into its airtight bag and leave it there whenever it's not being used.
Remove lens, lock mirror to 'Up' and hold the camera overhead, lens opening facing down. Without touching the sensor, blast every square mm of the mirror/sensor opening. By holding the camera this way, at least some of the debris will float out and down. No sense just moving the stuff around, get it outta there!
OK, brush time. Carefully wipe the brush across the sensor, pushing anything towards the edges. Do NOT let the bristles touch the black frame around the sensor, just clean the green/purple area. The frame collects dust and lubricant from the mirror and shutter, this usually gets picked up by the brush, then deposited onto the sensor. This is probably what happened with the first brush.
Once the sensor looks clean, remove the brush and blast it thoroughly with the blower, then rap the handle on a table edge. Knock everything off the bristles. Return the brush to the bag and seal it up.
Last follow the directions for using a swab. It's quick and pretty easy.
If you do everything correctly, your sensor will be as clean as it can get!
Regular use of the blower and occasionally, the brush, will solve 99% of all sensor problems.
Last, on the set-up menu page, enable 'Dust removal on start up'.
Good luck!
Ron
Thank you, I ordered all your recommendations and finally arrived today. I followed your instructions and nothing helped, I even cleaned the mirrors. I may have to send the camera back for cleaning. My husband will not be happy with me.

01-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Best call at this point... just send the camera for professional cleaning.
At this point things can only get worse.

Next time, please keep the brushes away from sensors.
I have to be honest, I cringed a little when I've read that.
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen Cook Quote
Thank you, I ordered all your recommendations and finally arrived today. I followed your instructions and nothing helped, I even cleaned the mirrors. I may have to send the camera back for cleaning. My husband will not be happy with me.
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe professional cleaning won't be terribly expensive.
01-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K 3 operating manual, page 87 explains it pretty well.

01-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that, Karen. Apparently there's something on the mirror I (and a few others, probably) haven't encountered before. Hope I didn't take you on the wrong path with my recommendations, but they're all standard cleaning tips, ones I've used many times. I'd be interested to hear what the cleaning service has to say about the stain/gunk, but as long as they can clean it, that should solve the problem!
Good Luck!
Ron
01-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Best call at this point... just send the camera for professional cleaning.
At this point things can only get worse.

Next time, please keep the brushes away from sensors.
I have to be honest, I cringed a little when I've read that.
I do not blame you for cringing, I still am losing sleep.
01-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
K 3 operating manual, page 87 explains it pretty well.
Thank you so much.
Did you work at PPG in Canada?

01-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I do not blame you for cringing, I still am losing sleep.
There's no reason to hesitate to use a sensor brush on a sensor - that's what they're designed for. And no need to lose sleep over dirt, especially if it's not greasy. One problem may be using a dirty brush - the sensor brushes usually come in resealable containers to keep them clean. Also when using a blower, make sure the camera is facing down, so dislodged material has the opportunity to fall out.

You can try wet-cleaning the sensor with the appropriate solution and swabs. I have some experiencing cleaning my k100 sensor, and at least with that model, it didn't actually seem that easy to damage the sensor - it would withstand fairly robust cleaning with no ill effects.
01-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Problem with brushes is that they get very easily dirty and they are prone to A LOT of dust!
Once you got dust on them, is almost impossible to clean them properly...

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-24-2014 at 07:36 AM.
01-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #25

I thought I'd throw this article form another site into the thread for comment.
This article is a blog so we have to accept personal opinion and experience to accept the writer's knowledge.

In this article the writer also recommends not using high velocity air, as I would also recommend. What drew my attention was this suggestion:
"Turn the sensor cleaning on. Your camera should have a built in camera sensor cleaning mechanism, but it may not be set to be turned on. Make sure you have it set to clean the sensors when the camera is turned on or turned off. "

What do you think? Is this something that should be done every time the camera goes on or off? I don't ahve enough experience in this to comment.

Caring for the DSLR Body and Lenses - The Photo Argus
01-24-2014, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a lot of sissies on this site, or are you all perhaps pro cleaners out to make a few bucks...?
01-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@Karen, Please just follow the instructions in the manual which says use the dust removal feature WHEN you detect dust on the sensor. Alternatively it says you can use a blower, which does work when the normal method does not. The camera comes with dust removal on start-up turned on so just leave it that way.

Clearly using a lens brush was a mistake but don't lose sleep over it. I'm sure it'll come back good as new from a professional cleaning.
01-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekmadge Quote
What do you think? Is this something that should be done every time the camera goes on or off? I don't ahve enough experience in this to comment.
The automatic sensor cleaning on the K5 is very good. I still have to find the first dust spot after 2 years. And yes, I swap lenses quite regularly And with the camera mount facing up.
01-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
What ever you do, DO NOT USE A BLOWER !
I've always used a blower and so have many people I know. Works perfectly.
Blowers are recommended by many pros who also use them, so I assume you've had a bad experience with a blower which is fair enough - but used correctly, they are perfectly safe and do the job.
01-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #30

I personally would feel comfortable user the blower bulb device I used with film but wouldn't be so, user a powered and strong blower. Does that distinction need to be made here?