Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
decision time once again

So I have roughly $550-$600 USD to burn on photography upgrades and I'm stuck in a bind in what to buy next

I have two flashes, a K30 that I love, one fast SMC-FA 50 f.1.4 and a Tamron 28-70 f/2.8

I do mostly family and dog portraits or small weddings for my friends who seem to abuse the privileges but I have booked a small amount of pay work off craigslist and my own website

I was thinking about either adding another body ( k-5 iis used) or two more pieces of glass

easy answer would be glass but every time I buy a new lens it sits why I use the fast 50 or zoom tammy

I even recently bought a limited lens off here to find out it's not what I'm looking for performance wise for how I shoot

My wife wants to start learning photography and I figured she could use the k30 and I could always use two bodies at a wedding so I don't have to keep switching between my two lenses.

here are my other options

I could most likely buy the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 and a k20 used

85mm and maybe a cheaper used 100mm macro

just buy the k-5 iis

any advice on which route to take?

my heart says k-5

my mind says glass only

01-07-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for good glass. This is an investment, but more importantly the IQ with good lenses will improve more drastically than going from a K-30 to K-5ii (same sensor).

My 5 cents...
01-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
2 Bodies?

Hello ClinchShots,
I'll go against the common-sense answer (more glass/better glass) in this case, and bear in mind, I'm a card-carrying LBA member!
Why? Because two bodies makes more sense or solves more problems (at this point), than more lenses, for you.
If your wedding work continues, 2 bodies (and a second shooter) is a must. Even with only two lenses, it's still faster and easier in that fast-moving, gotta-get-the-shot-now environment. Plus, inexpensive legacy glass is easy to find, both here and eBay or Craigslist.
My suggestion is a classic K-5 or newer K-5IIs, either one will be perfect 1st body, with great high ISO performance, grip available (twice the battery time,extra SD card, easier verticals, etc), and familiar controls.
It's not just weddings, either, although that's where it probably helps most. Any large indoor or outdoor event gets easier with 2 bodies, one with a short/wide lens, a tele or tele zoom on the other. I've shot macro at the Botanical Gardens and Butterfly Pavalion with an FA 100mm/flash/diffuser on one body and available light, M/F legacy Vivitar Series 1 on the other. Changing cameras (with quick plates installed) on the tripod is way faster and easier than changing lenses, settings, focus mode, ISO, etc, on one body. Same for classic auto shows, outdoor fairs and events, musical performances. Some may find the 'pack mule' approach too cumbersome, but when I weigh it against changing lenses on the fly and making sure all the camera controls are set for each different lens capability, it seems there's less 'user error' for me. YMMV.
Then you'll have a good camera body for your wife to use and you've moved to a more capable pro-grade body.
The glass will come along, believe me! But right now, a K-5 seems like the logical choice.
Ron
01-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

In these circumstances I would go for the 85mm jar and maybe arranged for some good compact camera as a back up. But I bet your trusty 30 will be still fine.

01-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I'm also going to vote for getting a second body now for two reasons: (1) the convenience / redundancy factor to assist you with weddings and other work (e.g., what if a problem arises with your main camera body); and (2) your wife wants to learn photography. Each of you likely will want to have a camera you can call your own 90% of the time (except when you want to take to bodies for a professional shoot). And do you really want to teach someone to drive in your car? Wouldn't you rather teach them how to drive in their car? Also, it might seem counter-intuitive but it is surprisingly easy to talk your spouse into spending more money on lenses if you each have a camera body (and use the same system). While you have a harder argument about buying the same lens twice, it's just somehow easier to get agreement on proposals like "You get the fast 50 and I'll get the Limited 77."
01-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Having 2 camera bodies is quite a plus. My trusty old K10D died over the weekend so I have to make a decision on whether to fix it, replace it with a used one ($175 at KEH) or buy a newer body to go along with my K5. On several occasions I have had a great shot because I had that second camera handy. I do a lot of sporting events and will usually be doing most of my shooting with a long lens but having the second body ready with a wide angle or a zoom will mean getting shots when there isn't time for a lens change. Also, my K10D was Katz Eye equipped and I did all my manual lens shooting with it.
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

Thread moved. Please note: the General Section is for non-photographic posts only.
01-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sorry for the miss post

yea I'm fairly sure I'm going to swing some sort of k-5 / k5 ii / s or something of the 2nd body sort

01-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Forum Member

I would try and get the k5ii s new and not used. The warranty (and extended warranty) adds a lot of security to knowing that you will have a trouble free experience. I don't think the amount saved between used or new is worth the extra risk.
01-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
If your wedding work continues, 2 bodies (and a second shooter) is a must.
+1 You do NOT want to be charging someone to shoot their wedding and have your camera go down on you with no back-up. Guys get sued for stuff like that.
01-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I always use a second shooter and he has 2 sony full frames and like 4 dslr sony backups
01-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Then ask what you can't do with the lenses you have. I see opportunity for wide angle and longer zoom (or tele), plus macro. I don't know if any of those are important to you, though.

It might be simpler to have two of the same bodies if you're using them professionally, though the K5 series is brilliant.