Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Best way is the following

pentaprism vs. pentamirror - Steve's Digicams Forums

The use of penta mirrors was brought about to reduce costs, the entry level DSLRs have all gone to penta mirrors.

If you are going to shoot manual lenses, perhaps with a stopped down lens, a prisim is a big advantage over a mirror due to the brighter viewfinder
Oh, thanks, I found that. And thank you for mentioning istD. I also read this review, and I'm for sure sold to istDS/ istD for playing with old lenses!

QuoteQuote:
Thought I would review this post correcting the purchase date - 2004 not 2008, and how it performs against newer models. Well, since my last review, I have since got a K-5. So now I have this, the K10D, K20D and K-5. Whilst the K20D is now beginning to struggle with the IQ (Samsung sensor issues?) both the K10D and *istDS both perform well. Yet again though, the *istDS STILL works best with my older K-mount lenses, more accurate than the K-5. Why? Well it is that original Pentaprism that they put in the DS. for some reason, it is still the best for me on MF lenses.

01-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you cannot afford a recent camera with focus peaking, the next best for manual lenses would have a focus point that lights up when focus is reached. That would make the k-r a bit better than the k-x. The k200d is nice though, a fun 10Mpxl camera that can get a bit wet and shrug it off; just add a WR kit lens some day and you can handle almost anything!
01-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
How about istDL processing ?
It's speed is slower than my K-30, but it is still a capable camera. I have had mine for several years I still get some of my best shots from it. The ones that have placed in competitions or been sold have all been from the DL. The K-30 was a big jump and is now my most used camera now . I do still use the DL and enjoy it . I actually have better luck with my manual lenses on it as opposed to the K-30. I admit that may be because of practice. I have had the DL around 5 or 6 years as compared to 1 year for the K-30. I don't use a flash very often with either of them . Just my 2 cents.
01-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
jimr-pdx
patrick9

Thank you. I'm brainstorming really, so any suggestions and sharing opinions are highly appreciated.
So far I put "in basket":
ist D/DS/DS2, K7 (but heavy!) and, if no luck with decent price for the first three ist-s, I can find istDL around $100 or less on ebay.

01-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kharry2012 Quote

My M42s mounted on my K-01, on the other hand, never impressed me.
That is disheartening! What would explain that? I've found the ones I have to be quite good, for the most part, and an economical way to get lenses. Not all M42 lenses are created equal, but I presume you are talking about the same lens mounted on different cameras providing different image quality?
01-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The k200d is nice though, a fun 10Mpxl camera that can get a bit wet and shrug it off; just add a WR kit lens some day and you can handle almost anything!
One big plus of the K200D for manual K-mount lenses is the DOF preview position on the ON/OFF switch. The meter is active during DOF preview, which allows you to meter your scene ( some might prefer this
to using the green button to SET exposure ). I've harped on this elsewhere in other threads, but this is a feature that was dropped from the K30, much to my disappointment. ( Note: you can program the Fx button on the K30 to give you DOF preview, but the meter turns OFF when you use it ). If you really want to get the most out of your camera using old K mount lenses, I would suggest that you stick to models that have that 3rd position on the DOF preview button.

The K200D does have a penta-mirror viewfinder. I did a lot of shooting with mine using manual lenses - it's doable, but a brighter viewfinder would have been nice. The K10D has the same sensor as the K200D,
and a pentaprism viewfinder ( K10D was top of the line in its day, K200D was the midrange model of the subsequent generation ). K10D is a generation older, so there may be some features on the K200D that are missing from the K10D - not sure.

( the K7 mentioned by the OP has the pentaprism viewfinder, weather sealing, and DOF preview on the ON/OFF switch )

I do mostly outdoor photography, so the weather sealing is more important to me than flash capabilities ( which I never use ).

Cheers R
01-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #22
Forum Member

K mount mf lenses performed exceptionally well on the K-100d for me.
01-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Ori
ginally posted by kharry2012
My M42s mounted on my K-01, on the other hand, never impressed me.
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
That is disheartening! What would explain that? I've found the ones I have to be quite good, for the most part, and an economical way to get lenses. Not all M42 lenses are created equal, but I presume you are talking about the same lens mounted on different cameras providing different image quality?
There is an issue with the K-01 using Takumar lenses not properly metering with Green Button and not working well at all in Movie Mode. Right after release several members documented the issue and contacted Pentax Japan directly but it is unclear what was done with the data. So far no one has mentioned a Firmware upgrade to correct the issue.

The issue has to do with the paint on the lens mount not allowing the mount to short the contacts on the camera. Using a bit of aluminum foil to short the contacts is the workaround.

K-mount lenses don't experience a similar limitation at all. I use manual K-mount lenses extensively on my K-01.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-08-2014 at 07:57 AM.
01-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

For manual lenses i would buy cheap new body like k30/50 or even k500.
01-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The more specifications and reviews I read, the more I think about K-7. It seems having everything I might need, and a big sensor as well. As for the size, I compared it online with canon t5i, which I've seen at the store.

Canon T5i vs Pentax K-7 - Our Analysis

Unfortunately, I can not find Pentax K-7 to at stores nearby, but even on that picture K-7 looks better built to me.
Perhaps, I better wait a bit, raise more money on my PayPal, and go for second hand K-7 instead of ist DS-s.

Either way, I'm glad that I decided to skip M42 mount for my Canon, and expand to K-mount itself. That's how I found Pentax. I want to try it badly!
01-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

No one has mentioned SR (in-body image stabilization) yet. The cameras with *ist names don't have SR, everything else does except the K110D. I think it's a very useful feature and will apply to all lenses. It may be less essential if most of your lenses will be less than 100mm or so, or you are fairly steady.

You don't need two control dials because the lenses you intend to use require M mode. On the K-7 in M mode, one dial controls shutter speed, and you can't reprogram the second dial to do anything except aperture. I didn't check all the owner's manuals for other cameras.

The cameras that take AAs are lighter and can be really light with disposable AA lithium batteries. The K10D or K20D are larger and heavier than the rest of the cameras. The K-7 is more typical Pentax size but feels like metal because it is.

I always shot RAW with my *ist DS, so I never noticed how few JPEG options it had. It doesn't have a black and white option, for example. Reviews often disliked Pentax JPEG processing for all the *ist cameras.

The older cameras that take SD cards all have firmware upgrades for SDHC compatibility.

I like having a socket for a wired remote, which is missing on the lower tier models like the K-m, K-x, K-r series.

The 6Mp and 10Mp cameras have CCD sensors and some people prefer the colors from CCD sensors. The CCD technology is somewhat limited at high ISOs so 3200 is the upper limit on most of these cameras, some only go to 1600 (K10D).

I would vote for the K200D as a good mix of features. It does have a pentamirror viewfinder but it's good enough. Everything else is good - the best implementation of the 10mp sensor, SR, wired remote, even has an available battery grip. The cameras are still popular so they aren't as cheap as a DL.
01-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would vote for the K200D as a good mix of features. It does have a pentamirror viewfinder but it's good enough. Everything else is good - the best implementation of the 10mp sensor, SR, wired remote, even has an available battery grip. The cameras are still popular so they aren't as cheap as a DL.

Thank you for adding more confusion (just kidding!) Yes, K200D looks attractive as well.
I noticed that lots of people complain about K-7 ISO. I found the blog
Camera Review: Pentax K-7 | photographybanzai.com

and checked the images taken with K-7. Looking from my comp screen, image with 1600 ISO looks noisy, but! it's sharp. So, reducing noise in light room will still give me pretty decent sharpness.
01-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Check this out. I simply reduced the noise a bit not touching anything else. First is edited, and the bottom one is original. And this is not raw file.
Since I use ISO 1600 very seldom, noise is not very big issue to me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by micromacro; 11-12-2014 at 08:12 PM.
01-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Thank you for adding more confusion (just kidding!) Yes, K200D looks attractive as well.
I noticed that lots of people complain about K-7 ISO. I found the blog
Camera Review: Pentax K-7 | photographybanzai.com

and checked the images taken with K-7. Looking from my comp screen, image with 1600 ISO looks noisy, but! it's sharp. So, reducing noise in light room will still give me pretty decent sharpness.
I do this in LR4 and it does work for sharpness. The key for higher ISOs is to get a perfect exposure to start, so you don't have to try to recover images in processing. Usually that just adds noise.

The K-7 also starts to lose dynamic range at high ISOs. I have a few shots at 1600 where the noise cleans up fine, but the lack of dynamic range makes the overall image "look bad". That gets worse with higher settings.

Everything else about the camera is perfect for me. I use a lot of manual focus primes and faster lenses make it possible to avoid high ISOs most of the time.
01-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The K-7 also starts to lose dynamic range at high ISOs. I have a few shots at 1600 where the noise cleans up fine, but the lack of dynamic range makes the overall image "look bad". That gets worse with higher settings.
Since I really not a big fan of high ISO, and my bottom is usually 800, K-7 seems very attractive camera.