Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried live view with manual focusing on my Canon. It's useless compare to view finder.
How much better Pentax live view for manual can be? I can not focus even with reading glasses.

01-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After searching and searching all over, an idea what I want from the camera for old lenses got clear.
10.2 MP CCD sensor.
Pentaprism viewfinder

Those two parameters are the main since I already have SMOS and pentamirror in another camera. I can not compromise CCD sensor.

So, I ended up with K10D vs K200D.
They both have the same sensor, but no pentaprism for K200D and... AA battery! (why, Pentax, why?!!!) I even don't remember when the last time I've seen the camera with AA.

The main issue with K10D is size and weight. Adding heavy old lenses on bulky heavy camera will make it even more heavy.

Since I don't have any chance to hold both cameras before buying, can you tell me please is it really significant difference between K10D and K200D in ergonomics for shooting, lets say, two hours?

How significant the difference for focusing with viewfinder between those two cameras?
01-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could read this comparison at Snapsort. I'm not familiar with the site, just found it by Googling "compare K10D and K200D". OR you could even read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/81365-k10d-vs-k200d.html
01-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #34
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never owned the K200D, but I still use the K10D with grip and extra battery in the grip for manual focus lenses at ISO 100.

IMHO the weight and size are a benefit, not a detriment, because the mass helps stabilize the entire system. At ISO 100 one is necessarily shooting slower shutter speeds. I can hand-hold the camera, braced with a neckstrap wrapped around my left hand, with lenses from K24/2.8 to K135/2.5 virtually all day. I really lose stability with the K200/2.5 and have to remove the grip and use a monopod or tripod - but that lens weights almost a Kilo itself, plus the camera and grip.

I use the standard focusing screen that came in the viewfinder. i attached a legacy +1.25 SMC Correction Lens Adapter M I got on eBay and that allows me to focus quite well for stationary subjects. I beleive the secret is to use the tool for what it can do rather than trying to force it to do what it cannot. You won't have much success shooting birds in flight or horse racing, but landscape and studio portrait - probably just fine.

I use this system for brightish outdoor shooting exclusively. Anything requiring higher ISO I use the K-01.

01-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
They both have the same sensor, but no pentaprism for K200D and... AA battery! (why, Pentax, why?!!!) I even don't remember when the last time I've seen the camera with AA.
I regard this as an advantage. I sometimes have to use AA batteries for other gear ( eg. GPS ), so being able to travel with a single charger and share spare batteries between different devices is handy. It was one factor that pushed me towards getting the K30, as I already had rechargeable AA's for my K200D. YMMV

Since I don't have any chance to hold both cameras before buying, can you tell me please is it really significant difference between K10D and K200D in ergonomics for shooting, lets say, two hours?
I've never held the K10D so I don't know how it compares to the K200D in terms of size/weight. The K200D has a nice feel to it. In some ways, I like the feel better than my K30, but that may just be that I haven't adjusted to the K30 yet.

One thing that the K10D has which the K200D lacks ( IIRC ) is a front control dial. K200D only has one control dial ( on the back ). I think the buffer in the K200D was also a bit limited, so if you're wanting to blaze away with it, you might be disappointed. There are probably a few other things that were left out as the K200D was a mid level camera.

Cheers, R
01-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I beleive the secret is to use the tool for what it can do rather than trying to force it to do what it cannot. You won't have much success shooting birds in flight or horse racing, but landscape and studio portrait - probably just fine.

I use this system for brightish outdoor shooting exclusively. Anything requiring higher ISO I use the K-01.
Perfect. That's exactly what I plan to use Pentax for: portraits, landscape, some street photography. There are plenty of bright days in Florida, too many sometimes.
01-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I regard this as an advantage. I sometimes have to use AA batteries for other gear ( eg. GPS ), so being able to travel with a single charger and share spare batteries between different devices is handy. It was one factor that pushed me towards getting the K30, as I already had rechargeable AA's for my K200D.
Probably it's a matter of habit. I can not imagine myself going back to AA battery. There is no problem just to carry an extra charged small battery if needed. And it last longer.
01-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One thing that the K10D has which the K200D lacks ( IIRC ) is a front control dial. K200D only has one control dial ( on the back ).
If the plan is to use it only for old m42 lenses then only having one control dial isn't a detriment since the camera will automatically fall back to Av mode anyway.

01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Probably it's a matter of habit. I can not imagine myself going back to AA battery. There is no problem just to carry an extra charged small battery if needed. And it last longer.
Absolutely - it's all dependent on your typical use case scenario. When I'm heading out on the road for a number of days, it can be a bit depressing to have to gather together an assortment of chargers for various devices. Being freed from packing yet another charger can feel like a small, but not insignificant triumph.
01-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
If the plan is to use it only for old m42 lenses then only having one control dial isn't a detriment since the camera will automatically fall back to Av mode anyway.
True enough. But it is a potential restriction on using modern lenses down the road. I just wanted the OP to be aware of a difference between the two cameras. Whether or not it will
affect his decision is up to him.

I've found I'm so used to only having the one dial on my K200D that I have to remind myself that I now have 2.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that I can't meter manual lenses using DOF preview on my K30. It's not something I do very often these days, but when you need a feature like that, it can
be very annoying to find it's missing. If I had known the feature was missing, I may have still bought my K30, but there's a difference between accepting something you know about in advance,
and getting a nasty surprise.
01-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Original Poster
but there's a difference between accepting something you know about in advance,
and getting a nasty surprise.
Exactly. I'm trying to minimize nasty surprises as much as possible.

Just got old film Zenit 122K camera from ebay with Helios lens (for the Pentax, yes ).
I forgot how heavy it was. Actually, the width of Zenit is exact as K10D - a bit more than 140 mm. Actually, it's quite comfortable. And the lens is heavy, and it feels like more camera weight would be nice to balance the lens.

And this old camera has microprism focusing. I forgot how bright it was! Definitely pentaprism is a winner for the manual focusing. Must have, imo.
01-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I forgot how heavy it was. Actually, the width of Zenit is exact as K10D - a bit more than 140 mm. Actually, it's quite comfortable. And the lens is heavy, and it feels like more camera weight would be nice to balance the lens.

And this old camera has microprism focusing. I forgot how bright it was! Definitely pentaprism is a winner for the manual focusing. Must have, imo.
I don't remember anyone complaining that the K10D was overly large/heavy, but like I said, I've never held one myself.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. A modern APS-c DSLR viewfinder is probably going to look dimmer than an old FF film SLR viewfinder, even if it has a pentaprism.
If you like the focus screen with split prism and/or microprism, for manual focusing, you can install one in your DSLR. I've been considering getting one myself, but I'm unsure of
how it will affect metering, and whether it will even work with slower zooms.

Another focusing aid that some speak highly of is a viewfinder magnifier. Less expensive than a focus screen, and easier to install/uninstall. Both together would probably be
a great combination ( for the case where focus peaking is either unavailable or unusable ).
01-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried live view with manual focusing on my Canon. It's useless compare to view finder.
How much better Pentax live view for manual can be? I can not focus even with reading glasses.
I only do it on a tripod. You can magnify the screen up to 10x on the K-7 for precision, but the screen has lag which makes handholding the magnified view difficult.
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I only do it on a tripod. You can magnify the screen up to 10x on the K-7 for precision, but the screen has lag which makes handholding the magnified view difficult.
Yep, live view is helpful when there is no tripod also, but some surface to put the camera on instead. Using live view while holding the camera is a pain, viewfinder is much better.

Anyway, thank you all of you, guys, for help! I'm done with all research.
Next time, if everything goes as planned, I will come back with my Pentax K 10D.
01-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manual focus lens, catch in focus

To use older, manual focus lenses, I really like "catch in focus," which I know is available with the cameras I have: K-20, K-7, and K-5II. I do not know which earlier Pentax digital cameras offered this feature. One interesting thing about Pentax documentation of the "catch in focus" feature is that the manual seems to indicate that it is used for a moving object that is expected to move into the focus range. However, the feature seems to work perfectly well when you simply frame a stationery object in the viewing frame and then turn the focussing ring until the shutter actuates. It is unclear whether Pentax anticipated the feature to be used in this fashion or not. Some of the manuals may document the feature differently, but I have seen only the K-20, K-7, and K-5II. Maybe someone else may be able to offer further clarification on this matter.

ADDED COMMENT:

I have a K-20 with Katz eye split prism focussing screen. Then the camera has catch in forus, then it has the green focussing icon you see through the viewfinder. All in all, one should hardly miss autofocus with all these focussing aids!

Last edited by ivanvernon; 01-10-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: To add the ADDED COMMENT.