Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Exposure +/- setting

I'm a bit puzzled on my K-5 that when I set to adjust exposure using the +/- button and the dial, it sticks until I move it back to zero. Seems to be the case even when I'm in "hyper manual". Not sure it has an impact in hyper manual of any sort, but still puzzled. So I guess my question is: Given that Pentax often seems to give us a number of different places where you can change the camera's settings - the menu system, the dials and buttons, etc., how do we tell what the real state the camera is in? or is this just not something to stress about? (Case for the last condition is attested to by the fact my pictures still seem to come out fine).

01-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every camera works like this afaik, unless it has a physical dial. You have to be careful and review the exif to make sure exposure compensation isn't enabled when you don't want it to be. There's also a memory setting that you can use to get the camera to reset the exposure compensation after you turn it off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Banned

Search your manual for "exposure compensation".
01-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll check those out. I just figured turn off would automatically reset. Haven't got there yet, but I'm working on my "workflow" to make sure I cross check the settings before shooting.... and don't use yesterday's or this morning's, etc.

01-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jwmster Quote
I just figured turn off would automatically reset.
My interpretation of the manual; not tried it! Page 312 of the (english pdf) manual): what the camera can remember if you want it to. Exposure compensation is in the list.
01-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #6

Don't have the K5 but in the K30, record, panel 4, memory, exposure comp along with a litany of other settings is listed as a saveable setting uncheck that if you don't want the last setting saved.
01-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jwmster Quote
Thanks. I'll check those out. I just figured turn off would automatically reset. Haven't got there yet, but I'm working on my "workflow" to make sure I cross check the settings before shooting.... and don't use yesterday's or this morning's, etc.
The reason it does not reset automatically is that you may wish to shoot a whole lot of shots with a particular arrangement , which could include correction for a lens , shooting with back lighting etc. for single corrections, it is easier to use exposure lock, metering off a scene and then shifting the point of metering
01-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Don't have the K5 but in the K30, record, panel 4, memory, exposure comp along with a litany of other settings is listed as a saveable setting uncheck that if you don't want the last setting saved.
Awesome.... Thanks for that it is the same with my K50