Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

3rd party batteries

Has anyone had any trouble with 3rd party batteries? I got one from a site advertising in a well know camera mag.I tried it it seemed okay,then charged it and took it away with me on hols,when original k-5 battery went flat I inserted 3rd party one,seemed okay untill the following day when it sent camera into melt down.all the info was displayed on back of camera ,but it wouldn't take a picture.then once shutter button was pushed it displayed battery empty.Turned off then on,battery full untill I tried to take picture.Replaced with k-5 original,and got exactly the same.after about an hour of messing around,i got fed up and took battery out and left camera in room.went back later and took out memory card,replaced it and original k-5 battery and everything has been fine ever since.have not tried 3rd party battery again.

01-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alan1 Quote
Has anyone had any trouble with 3rd party batteries? I got one from a site advertising in a well know camera mag.I tried it it seemed okay,then charged it and took it away with me on hols,when original k-5 battery went flat I inserted 3rd party one,seemed okay untill the following day when it sent camera into melt down.all the info was displayed on back of camera ,but it wouldn't take a picture.then once shutter button was pushed it displayed battery empty.Turned off then on,battery full untill I tried to take picture.Replaced with k-5 original,and got exactly the same.after about an hour of messing around,i got fed up and took battery out and left camera in room.went back later and took out memory card,replaced it and original k-5 battery and everything has been fine ever since.have not tried 3rd party battery again.
It really depends on the battery. Some are OK, others don't conform to the manufacturer's power/interface specs. You're usually best off getting a spare OEM battery IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
3 rd party batteries

I've had good success with Wasabi Li batteries for both my K 10 and K 5. For under $30 you get 2 batteries, a wall charger, and a car charger. I haven't noticed any real difference in performance compared with the "official" batteries, but I don't have any way to compare their performances "scientifically." Of course, YMMV.
01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have had nothing but problems with aftermarket batteries other than OEM, on any device. My batteries for the Kr swelled and would not hold a charge. At one point both ended up swelling to the point that they got stuck in the camera.

Never a problem with my Pentax batteries.

01-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Wasabi for my K30. It is amazing. Absolutely cannot tell it apart, performance-wise, from the original cell.

It should be noted, though, that it took a LONG time to charge the very first time, and the first two cycles it seemed to drain rather quickly, but I always used it completely down to 0% (until the camera flashed the red, empty battery symbol to me and shut down). Now it is perfect. Lasts just as long as the original cell from Pentax, if not longer.
01-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax does not make batteries. I have used 2 non-Pentax batteries without an issue.
01-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Pentax does not make batteries. I have used 2 non-Pentax batteries without an issue.
While Pentax does not make batteries, they also don't make the sensor in the K5, K3, etc. But most still call it a Pentax sensor/camera.

I refer to the OEM Pentax batteries shipped with the camera and available for a premium price.

01-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I refer to the OEM Pentax batteries shipped with the camera and available for a premium price.
Of course, but they are not special just because they are Pentax-branded.
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Of course, but they are not special just because they are Pentax-branded.
I am not saying pentax make batteries,I'm just saying the battery which came with the camera has never caused any problems.but the new (third party) one has caused the camera to malfunction .
01-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I got four OEM batteries I've collected over the years for my K5/K3 (I've bought 2 K5's, a spare oem, and the K3) and I pretty much stick with them now. At a time I had a handful of non-oem batteries I got from battdepot.ca (I think), but they had considerably less life than the OEM variants. The average was 120 shutter cycles or 10-15 minutes of video. I gave three of them as batteries to the store I traded my second K5 for K3 in on.

I also got an aftermarket battery for my Q and I can pretty much toss it in the garbage now. It's started to swell but often never got me more than 20 shots before dying.
01-11-2014, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #11

Agree on Wasabi

I agree with severalsnakes. I initially bought a non-OEM battery from Amazon for about $10. It worked fine for the first 2 cycles, then would not hold charge. The battery would just drain if left in the camera. Fortunately Amazon's always been good with returns so I got a full refund. I then bought the 2 battery Wasabi set off Amazon and notice no difference between the OEM cell. As some others have mentioned, it's also nice to have that Wasabi charger, as the socket plug flips out and you don't need that long cord, as with the OEM charger.

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I have the Wasabi for my K30. It is amazing. Absolutely cannot tell it apart, performance-wise, from the original cell.

It should be noted, though, that it took a LONG time to charge the very first time, and the first two cycles it seemed to drain rather quickly, but I always used it completely down to 0% (until the camera flashed the red, empty battery symbol to me and shut down). Now it is perfect. Lasts just as long as the original cell from Pentax, if not longer.
01-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #12

Original Poster
thanks for your replies,it would seem that the battery i got was the worst of the lot as it sent camera into meltdown.I have tried it since and it would not let me do a dust check,so I inserted the battery which came with the k-5 which allowed me to do so. ,"-).
01-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have three of the wasabi batteries for my K7. Two of them seem to hold a charge well but the third one has been dying fairly quickly and for awhile looked like it wouldn't take a charge. Around X-mas time we had a family get together and while I was coming back from it I decided to charge it with the car charger. After the two hours to get home, the battery still had still not fully charged so I unplugged the charger and the battery but ended up leaving them in my car.

We ended up having the below zero temps around here a day or two after I left the battery in my car. After, I think three days, I went out and got the battery and brought it in. I let it warm up and then put it on the charger and it charged up. It is in my camera now and seems to be working fine.

I don't want to say that the freezing temps made a difference, but it might have.
01-19-2014, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I find that the 3rd party batteries are fairly good but mine seem to take a lot longer than a pentax one. I have a battery grip so I use a 3rd party one in it and then use the pentax in the body.
Both seem to have around the same number of shots but like I said, for some reason the 3rd party brand takes longer to charge

Cheers

Randy
01-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Bower batteries and haven't noticed anything like the OP describes.
as far as I can tell, there was no noticeable difference between the after market and OEM batteries.