Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moz Quote
What about battery grips, which of those after-market ones do you recommend?

And last but not least, speedlights to complete the kit.
My advice is to stay away from generic battery grips. I bought one for $53 a couple of years ago and it lasted all of one year before it started preventing the camera from starting up if it contained a battery. Now, I occasionally use it but always without the battery. Also, the paint and texture have rubbed off of it and that makes me concerned about the toxicity of the materials used as that stuff obviously rubbed off onto my skin.

It's just not worth buying a generic brand IMHO.

Last edited by bossa; 03-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.
03-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
D-BH109........

Best thing ever
03-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
My mistake, i thought it already came out. But it should be available soon seeing how the Pentax full frame is supposed to come out later this year. I would rather wait for the weather resistant Tamron rather then the non weather resistant Sigma 70-200, or even see what Pentax might produce.
I wouldn't bank on a Pentax FF this year. There is much hype by our most anticipatory members here but no one here has shared any definite definites on the FF body coming out this year.. or any year.

I'd second the notion of getting the Pentax made grip.. it is weather resistant and I think is the only WR grip for use with the K-5 series. Check the second hand sites (ebay and the marketplace here). I bought one for 150 shipped on ebay last month. I suspect it will last me a lot longer and give me a lot less hassle than the cheapy 50 or 60 dollar chinese knockoffs.

I also have access to a D3100 and I actually like the feel of it.. it is hollowish plastic but in an interesting way... small and light.

The K-5 (I and II) are, on the other hand, muchhh more substantial bodies... much heavier (magnesium alloy) and a bit larger. So be ready for that... especially with a grip holding batteries. Outside of weight, I think the K-5 series 'hold' (as in your hands) better than the D3100, but this is a personal preference.

The 18-135mm WR is a nice walkaround lens.. but it has issues in the corners.. even stopped down to around f/8 so it is definitely a walkaround lens.

18-135mm WR and a 55-300WR would probably be a nicer starter set. maybe a DA 35mm f/2.4 and/or a DA 50 f/1.8 in there for the sharp or low light shots.
03-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #34
Moz

Original Poster
The clock is ticking. I am going after the k-5 this Easter. I have, however, some doubts concerning the lenses. I have been in this DSLR world since last June, and with about 10 months of (in)experience, I do feel that I should get an telephoto zoom ASAP. Looking for the 70-200 range, should I get the Tamron or Sigma? Or should I wait for a possbile Pentax alternative that might be coming up soon?

03-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 1.4x TC that is now shipping was on the lens roadmap for seven or eight years. I would buy either the Tamron or Sigma now, whichever one seems best. Then you can always sell it when the Pentax materializes.
03-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #36
Moz

Original Poster
Between the two, Tamron or Sigma? Which one is better built, with better IQ and with less issues reported?
03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Moz Quote
Hi Gentlemen,

As I said in my intro post, I am going to a Pentax from a Nikon d3100. First, I've considered the K-5, but now I am asking if I should go for K-5 II/ IIs instead. Do they worth the extra cost?

And due to the fact that I am going for the body only, and considering that I am planning to start with just three lenses for now (I've already bought a pentax-M 1.7 that is yet to arrive), which lenses would you recommend?

From these three, one should be WR.

- Zoom or prime: 16-50 or one prime
- My Pentax-M 1.7
- Zoom (50-135 or 70-200 Tamron)

Any thoughts?
I'm actually curious why you decided to switch to Pentax to begin with rather than simply upgrading your Nikon to a more advanced model.

03-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #38
Moz

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flinn Quote
I'm actually curious why you decided to switch to Pentax to begin with rather than simply upgrading your Nikon to a more advanced model.

I've also questioned myself if I should switch to Pentax rather than simply upgrading the Nikon system. I am actually very, very satisfied with the results given by the d3100+35mm combination. But I will answer you with a couple of considerations that I've made:

1) Build quality (the only big minus that I give to my d3100. It's plasticky. Plastic all over). The reviews that I've read/seen, all of them point to another plasticky body, when reviewing the d7000.

2) Image quality (I am blown away by the 50 quid M 50mm f/1.7). This is, definitely, my best £ spent since I started into the Photographic world. In mint condition, for £50 delivered.

3) Built-in stabilization (this if definitely a worthy feature)

4) Weather-sealed (For me, it's just a plus, good to have). I am in photography just for fun.

However, the second-hand market for Pentax is much smaller than Canon/Nikon's. I have bought my Nikon from MPB, and they, unfortunately, do not sell Pentax gear. We have, as far as I know, two options: Pentax forums and... Ebay.

I am going for the upgrade/switch in the next couple of weeks, depending on the market, here and on Ebay.

Last edited by Moz; 03-20-2014 at 06:03 PM.
03-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #39

Moz,

Amazon, B&h Photo and Adorama seem to sell a lot of Pentax.
03-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #40
Moz

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
Moz,

Amazon, B&h Photo and Adorama seem to sell a lot of Pentax.
As an European Union customer, those alternatives might not be as useful as for North American Pentaxians, due to customs/duties.
03-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #41

I thought Amazon was everywhere. I must be wrong.
03-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #42
Moz

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
I thought Amazon was everywhere. I must be wrong.
I am looking at second-hand market.
05-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #43
Moz

Original Poster
Between Pentax 16-50 and the Sigma 17-50 2.8 for roughly the same price, regarding image quality, which one would you pick?
05-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the same price, I think I would pick the Pentax 16-50. Usually it is priced quite a bit higher than the Sigma...