Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
focusing issues with K-30

I have a pentax k-30 with 18-135 wr and 50 300 both pentax lenses. I seem to have some problem with focus being sharp on over half my images. I am an experienced photographer and am somewhat perplexed.

01-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got some sample photos?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awesome 63 Quote
I seem to have some problem with focus being sharp on over half my images.
I am so sorry to read about your sharp images. This is a recurring problem for Pentax photographers, particularly if they are using Pentax lenses.

...Sorry, I could not resist

It would help if you could more closely characterize your issue and provide a few example photos. Since you are an experienced photographer, you probably already know the causes of unsharp images:
  • Camera motion
  • Subject motion
  • Missed focus
  • Poor quality optics
So the obvious first question is whether we can rule out any of the above. Once we have narrowed the possible causes, the more probable can be explored.

Steve
01-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I can only guess, but my best guess is the lenses are not focusing accurately. Don't know where to find it in the menu but there is a fine tuning section where you can set the focus range for I think 10 lenses. From what I've heard many lenses have to be fine tuned and then will work fine. Someone else who has used it might be able to tell you what it's called and where to find it. Since i Use manual lenses I've never had to find or use it. I think this is mostly an issue related to auto focus, but I could be wrong.

There is also the chance you're just not accustomed to the new rig yet. It took me over a month to get really familiar with the K30, and learn to "see" when I had good focus. I use all manual lenses, but when switching from the K-x to the K30 I had to get familiar with the camera before I started really getting shots I was happy with.

01-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Got some sample photos?
I'd add with exit data attached.