Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

New K3 Owner with question

Just received my k3 today. Very nice. I am trying to figure out best way to set it up. Not interested in green auto. I have tried the av mode. One thing that puzzles me is the ISO setting. Can't seem to find a way to set it. It is always changing. How do I keep it from changing? Want to shoot with it as low as possible.

Any suggestion on how to understand this camera?

Thanks.

Steve

01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you know how to operate a DSLR already and are asking questions specific to the K3 or is this your first DSLR?
That will change the level and type of answer I would give.

I only have a K-5 so this may not be correct for your K-3 but the only mode I can think of where you can't change the ISO is green mode. In P or anything else you should be able to hold down the ISO button and turn the rear dial to change it, or if you just press the ISO button it locks the rear dial to adjusting ISO until you press it again (you will see a little arrow pointing at ISO in the top LCD). That is in the manual however.

EDIT: especially in P mode which can be confusing pay attention to whether ISO aperture or shutter speed has the arrow next to it, when it has an arrow next to it that means you have control of that setting and the camera can't automatically adjust it. In P mode press the green button to reset what you have control of and the camera will set all three settings like its in green mode.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 01-09-2014 at 08:43 PM.
01-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

Press the ISO button (on top) and dial in the ISO you want (rear dial), your camera by default is in Auto ISO mode

That said, take an hour to at least skim read the manual -- it will help a lot

Also buy the K-3 book from http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com.au/ esp. if you're a beginner or new to Pentax

Last edited by CypherOz; 01-09-2014 at 09:03 PM.
01-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have used an old canon D60 made in 2002. Pretty simple. I have been involved with photography since I was a kid. This new camera has a lot to offer. Is letting the camera set ISO is good or bad thing?

01-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you pick ISO you are deciding what quality level you want for the image, higher ISO is worse (technically adjusting sensor sensitivity).
If you pick aperture you are deciding your depth of field.
If you pick shutter speed you are picking what would potentially create or avoid motion blur.

When to take control of any or all is up to you, basically if you don't know why you would adjust a setting leave it on auto until you do.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 01-09-2014 at 09:12 PM.
01-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks pppppp42. I will spend more time with manual. I definitely like being able to adjust settings manually and have the camera Respond. I want to use low ISO settings as well.

Steve
01-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

Also: Get a PDF version of the manual from here: Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
01-10-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
Is letting the camera set ISO is good or bad thing?
Not a K3 owner but in general auto-iso is a bad thing when using flash. In low light conditions the camera will crank up the ISO as if there is no flash. The result can easily be overexposed images.

01-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to all. Concerning the ISO, my Canon let me set it once and that was it. The camera never automatically adjusted the ISO. I think I am not used to a camera that adjusts it. Remember my Canon is a D60. One of Canons first large dslr cameras that came out in 2002.
01-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Not quite understanding your last comment

If your K3 is anything like the K5, pressing the iso button and using the dial to change the iso (as suggested earlier) should be permanent.
Or
Your Canon might not have had auto-iso functionality.
01-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot in TAv mode most of the time. Set the aperture you want. Most lenses have a sweet spot, plus you want to manage DoF. Then use the shutter speed to keep your ISO in a good range and freeze motion etc. I find it the most convenient mode outdoors and in places where the lighting is not consistent.

If you want to use it as you describe you Canon experience, I think P mode is where you want to be.

ISO is not as important now as it was in 2002. You can easily let a K5 float ISO up to 6400 with no worries, and higher if you accept a bit of noise trade-off. This is VERY powerful, it will let you get shots you only dreamt of before. ALSO remember you can allow the camera to underexpose and bring those details out later by adjusting exposure during your RAW file development. This is also insanely powerful. I've taken images which are pretty much black and adjusted to get a perfectly good image in post-processing. It's almost hard to comprehend how much information these sensors capture.
01-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Not quite understanding your last comment

If your K3 is anything like the K5, pressing the iso button and using the dial to change the iso (as suggested earlier) should be permanent.
Or
Your Canon might not have had auto-iso functionality.
Sterretje, the Canon did not have auto ISO. I don't think any camera had it in 2002.

Ted-or, I will use TAv and see how that goes. This camera sounds amazing. If I pushed the old Canaon to its limit of 1000, he images took a big hit. It like I am holding a Mac with a lens in my hands.
01-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Wow, the manual for the K-3 really sucks.

In Av mode, you can press the ISO button just behind the shutter button. Then the rear dial should change ISO. Look at the rear LCD. The block for ISO will say "AUTO" if the camera is using Auto ISO. On my camera (K-7), pressing the green button (just below the rear dial) toggles Auto ISO - press once to allow it, once to disable it.

You can use Auto ISO with a limit on how high it will go, which is often useful. That is in the Rec. Mode (little camera icon) menu on the second page. The default setting goes up to 3200 maximum. I think that limited range applies to any mode where the camera would adjust the ISO itself, such as TAv mode.
01-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully you've had your question answered. For auto iso, just go to the info screen and hover over the iso setting then spin the front dial to set the lower end and the back dial to set the upper end setting. If you want to set to a specific iso and not have it move, hit the iso button and spin the back dial to you get the setting you want. If you want to go from a specific iso setting to auto iso, hit the iso button and then the green button.