Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Motocross - first dslr help! which model? looking to spend $1000 with lenses

I am looking to purchase my first dslr camera and will use it mainly to shoot motocross which is why i am interested in the pentax mainly (dust / water resistant). I have done much research regarding lenses and such and taken pictures with my buddies canon d20. Here are some pics we took to give you an idea. I like to get close to the action but also included some blurry pics (g/f took ) to show some distance shots id like to be able to take also. What I would like to know is if you could spend around $1200 max, which pentax camera you would choose and what lenses to go with it to fit my price budget. I appreciate all suggestions as I am torn between buying an older k-5IIs, k50, k30, k-?. I know some of these can be purchased with different lens kits 18-135?, etc.possibly purchase 2nd / 3rd lenses cheaper since it was just black friday, so im calling all experts here, especially those budget minded Thanks, Brian-

Attached Images

01-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It would seem best to figure on 1 lens (Likely a wide to telephoto, as you mentioned) and the camera--so you don't need to change lenses. If you find you want a second lens (e.g., a fast lens or very wide lens, or whatever) then you could go to a second camera--actually cameras are cheap--if need be you can or example pick up an older K20d (it is also WR) as 2nd camera for $200-250.
01-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Get a k-30 or k-50 and a DA 55-300 or DA 18-135. With a bit of learning, you will be able to shoot 6fps and have plenty of range from near to far with relatively good focusing ability.
01-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Action Camera?

Hello Brian, Welcome to the forum!
For your needs and budget, I'd suggest the K-50 and an 18-135mm zoom. That particular lens is slightly sharper than the 18-55mm and has a longer telephoto reach. Both are weather-resistant and a bundled kit should be within your price range.
Also, it would be better to buy them both new, for the full warranty and peace of mind.
JMO,
Good luck!
Ron

01-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My guess is the Sigma 70-200 will be a great lens for this. It's not WR, though, and will bust your budget. The Tamrron 70-200 doesn't focus as fast, but it takes gorgeous pictures. It's available here used for ~$550-$600 (used). Add a K-30 or K-50 with 18-55WR for the rainy days, and your budget is spent! If you can stretch, the 18-135 WR is maybe more useful than the 18-55. I'm a fan of used from here in he marketplace. We do tend to take care of our gear around here.

An idea would be to get an 18-135 kit, save your leftover cash, and get the 70-200 if you find you need faster shutter speeds or longer reach.

For this application, I like the 70-200 because of the larger max aperture. Set it to f3.4 or f4, and 1/2000 in TAv to get really sharp shots. That shutter speed will stop the action. A slower lens won't get the same quality of shots.
01-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd get the 18-135 lens to start with. The close-in shots that you posted require a fairly wide lens, actually. 18mm will get you plenty close enough. (I shot motocross races way back in the film days, from 35 to 135, no zooms. Back then, WR was not a real problem, with the lack of electronics and new sensor (film frame) every shot. So I changed lenses on the run.) I really can't recommend changing lenses now with all the dust of a motocross. Your sensor will be covered with dust in no time. Changing lenses will take you out of the action to a dust-free place. The 18-135 will certainly cover most of what you want. And WR is needed for motocross, IMHO.

If you then find the 18-135 is limiting you (need a bit more range or higher shutter speed) then get a longer/faster lens. It does depend on where you will be shooting from. I shot from very close to the track (never on the outside of a turn if close-in, but straight jumps were good) for exciting filled-frame shots (35mm on film = 24mm APS-C), or further away for catching duels between riders (135mm on film = 90mm APS-C). If you're not getting very close, the 70-200 f2.8 could get the job done, but it will take much of your budget. Or the 50-300 WR could give you the range for cheaper, but with a slower shutter speed than the 70-200.

Oh, the camera. Any of those that you mention would get the job done, and there seem to be several of each type coming up for sale frequently on our marketplace. The K-50 is the newest mid-level camera and might be the most reasonable choice. They all have the same sensor, with good high-ISO capability. They're all WR.
01-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
I would think that I wouldn't need a faster lens for distance shots. I would prefer a fast wide angle zoom lens for corner shots. Which DA/WR 18/24/30- whatever mm do you think would be best for that? I was thinking of the k30/k50/k5IIs or other? with the 18-135 kit and then spending $500-$600 on a fast wide angle zoom lens (increase my budget a little to get what I need). Which body is preferred for fastest autofocus? I agree the 18-135mm would be a great all around lens for taking pictures of everything non-motocross related and getting a fast lens for my needs on the track. From my limited dslr playing i think 70mm is too far for my corner shots as I like to get close. Later I would invest in a longer range lens i suppose. I was first looking at the sony's for their fast fps and saw they were using older minolta beercan zoom lenses - is there a pentax mount for that? if so what are your thoughts on that lens for my needs? Or perhaps what non DA older lenses are popular in the pentax community? Like I said this is all new to me but Ive researched as much as my brain will allow and now Im finally at the stage to jump in head first. Thanks everyone for your replies I really appreciate your time and knowledge!!!

01-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

For fast wide angle zoom, there is only one: the Sigma 10-20/f3.5. It is not WR, but it is very wide. In a few months, Sigma will release the 18-35/f1.8, but that's a whole different thing, not very wide, and around ~$800.

The DA*16-50 fits you needs, but it is quite expensive. The Tamron 17-50 would work, and it's f2.8 and reasonable in price, but again, not WR.

The new DA20-40 is kind of wide, kind of fast, and WR, but it is $1000 and is not being well received by and large.

Fast lenses freeze action and blur backgrounds. This is actually more important at the longer end.
01-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ill look into those, thanks. How important is the DA/WR going to be for the lens on a dusty motocross track?