Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Exposure Mode setting

I am new to Pentax. Just bought a K3. Great camera.

I am wondering which exposure mode most people use. TAv looks good. If I wanted to be able to adjust the aperture I can do it in this mode. I also can do it using Av. So what is difference between the two?

Thanks.

Steve

01-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
I am new to Pentax. Just bought a K3. Great camera.

I am wondering which exposure mode most people use. TAv looks good. If I wanted to be able to adjust the aperture I can do it in this mode. I also can do it using Av. So what is difference between the two?

Thanks.

Steve
You'll probably want to stay in P or Av mode if you just want to adjust the aperture. Doing it in P mode is a breeze as you can always go back to full auto just by hitting the green button. TAv is where you set the shutter speed + aperture manually and the camera tweaks the ISO setting to achieve proper exposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is the poll.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/227309-what-your...sure-mode.html

No need for another thread :-)
01-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

With TAv, the camera will adjust the ISO for correct exposure. With Av, the ISO is usually fixed and the camera adjusts the shutter speed for correct exposure.

01-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
I will try each. Maybe Av would be better. I would like to keep the ISO as low as possible for reduced noise in the images. Am I thinking about this correctly?
01-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
By using the Av mode the ISO moves up and down. Should I let it or lock it in at a low level?

Thanks.
01-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can also set a predefined ISO range, for example, you can set it so that ISO will be automatically selected from ISO 100 to ISO 1600. It would then never go outside that range.
01-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
What ISO level will start to impact the quality of the image?

01-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually find anything under 1600 to be easy to work with, obviously, you want as low as you can afford with your other settings.......I am sure those more experience with touching up photo's can deal fine with higher ISO...
01-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Don't use auto-iso if you don't want the camera to change it Just set it to 100; when you find that shutter speeds become to slow, manually increase the ISO.

What you use depends on what you need; I mostly use Av with fixed ISO and in some situations I use TAv with floating ISO.
01-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
I will try each. Maybe Av would be better. I would like to keep the ISO as low as possible for reduced noise in the images. Am I thinking about this correctly?
Wanting to maintain the highest image quality is an excellent goal. However, to that end - think the entire problem through. Several times, I have not thought the problem through all the way, and somewhat held the ISO artificially low, only to find that other conditions prevailed and the shots did not turn out as expected. So, yes - do try to maintain the lowest ISO, but there are times when either shutter speed, aperture or both become much more important and ISO just becomes what ever is necessary to capture the shot. Also, consider taking several shots - where each one may emphasize a different approach (fast shutter, narrow aperture, or low ISO, or what every combination) - with digital the film is essentially free.

I like to shoot square rigged sailing ships at sunset. With the tide moving the ship, and breeze moving the rigging, (a pretty short exposure) and wanting a good depth of field (needing to stop down the aperture) - the ISO just becomes what ever is necessary to get the shot.

It is good to correctly expose the image when capturing it. In post processing you have a second opportunity to make adjustments. You can apply noise reduction utilities, along with sharpening and contrast adjustments - to help mitigate higher ISO's than what you may have wanted. There are always additional techniques to help out.