Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #1

Apple Aperture

I am a new K3 owner. Have an imac and use Aperture. I am wondering if many of you use Aperture. Seems like I see a lot of reference to Lightroom.

Just wondering.

Steve

01-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are several of us who use Aperture, some even have a K-3.

Apple has not added the K-3 to the RAW Compatibility, so K-3 PEF files don't work at all and you have to do a little work to make DNG files work.

For DNG files you need to run them through Adobe DNG Converter first, then import them into Aperture.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh
01-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also use Aperture....everyone says I should be using Lightroom, but I seem to be able to get everything done in Aperture.
01-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for Aperture although lately it acts up using the plug ins from NIK (Google) and I am also waiting for native support for the K-3.

01-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been happily using Aperture for a few years. No major upgrade since version 3 in sometime, however, so I've been wondering about making the switch to Lightroom--especially since I bought into Adobe's photographers' package at the special intro price.
01-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
In the past I used Photoshop Elements on a Pc. It was good for me. However, after switching to the imac I really like the integration that Apple offers in their products. I have become a Mac fan. I did have one of the first macs in the early 80's. Interesting but screen too small and I was in to developing pc software.

I will stick with Aperture and my new K3. By the way, I really like the way the k3 fits in my hand. I got it with the grip. I was concerned it was going to be too small. So car freat. I am taking it out today to give a test drive.

Steve
01-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you feel the need to add an external editor, take a look at Pixelmator.

Pixelmator

It's a real Mac app, not a bad port of a PC app like Elements.

01-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes just stepped into the Aperture Wading Pool, now just have to start swimming. Is there much at the deep end.:
01-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been using Aperture for a long time and I selected it after trying both lightroom and aperture because I liked the look and feel of aperture more. It has always done whatever LR does save for the latest release of LR which can selectively adjust colour in a colour region. I'm sure aperture will have this in its next release (which has been a long time coming but so what... aperture has had features that LR has only just added). Also, aperture manages your library simply and easily. You hear a lot of LR talk simply because aperture is not available on PCs.

I have a K5ii and since my K20 I have been using DNG and there has been no need for a pre-processor - I think this may be a K3 issue - I don't know.

I really suggest you watch the apple tutorial videos. You may find it does things you didn't realize. There are a lot of hidden features in apple products.
01-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Forum Member

I have been using Aperture happily for a few years now, and love the workflow. From time to time I use Topaz, but usually Aperture does the job, though an upgrade must be just around the corner!!??
01-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
I really suggest you watch the apple tutorial videos. You may find it does things you didn't realize. There are a lot of hidden features in apple products.
Thanks for the Info. cheers
01-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started out using APERTURE and P-ELEMENTS on a MacBook Pro, but after two years I was not happy. As the files approached 2,000, APERTURE would take forever to be ready. Then it inexplicably dumped a huge number of files (fortunately I had backup), then it cut out blocks of some images, so that the image would come up with a big white square missing. It did that to files that were not being worked upon, so when I saved in the "VAULT," it changed all the masters of those files already in the VAULT so they also had the blocks missing, so those images are lost. AND, when putting files into the vault, it apparently reviews every single file already stored so that sometimes it took upwards of ten hours to complete a "save to VAULT" command. I'm using LIGHTROOM 5 and PHOTOSHOP 6 on a DELL and am much happier with editing options, speed, and "look." The MacBook, during the first two years, also had a failure of the battery, the hard drive, and the disk drive. I use it sometimes for EMAIL, and sometimes transfer reduced pixel images via a thumb drive for posting on PF. I have no respect for the machine or for Apple.
01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's all horses for courses, if the one you have does all you need... stick with it, if not then change to one that does.
01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I started out using APERTURE and P-ELEMENTS on a MacBook Pro, but after two years I was not happy. As the files approached 2,000, APERTURE would take forever to be ready. Then it inexplicably dumped a huge number of files (fortunately I had backup), then it cut out blocks of some images, so that the image would come up with a big white square missing. It did that to files that were not being worked upon, so when I saved in the "VAULT," it changed all the masters of those files already in the VAULT so they also had the blocks missing, so those images are lost. AND, when putting files into the vault, it apparently reviews every single file already stored so that sometimes it took upwards of ten hours to complete a "save to VAULT" command. I'm using LIGHTROOM 5 and PHOTOSHOP 6 on a DELL and am much happier with editing options, speed, and "look." The MacBook, during the first two years, also had a failure of the battery, the hard drive, and the disk drive. I use it sometimes for EMAIL, and sometimes transfer reduced pixel images via a thumb drive for posting on PF. I have no respect for the machine or for Apple.
I never used the vault, have almost 20,000 files running on Aperture, have learned not to do the things that slow it down, like asking it to check 20,000 files for faces. We did have a streak when we lost maybe 4 or 5 files as described. I have an 10 year old iBook, and 6 year MacBook, both of which function to this day. All my Dell's are dead. I guess it's just luck of the draw.
01-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I never used the vault, have almost 20,000 files running on Aperture, have learned not to do the things that slow it down, like asking it to check 20,000 files for faces. We did have a streak when we lost maybe 4 or 5 files as described. I have an 10 year old iBook, and 6 year MacBook, both of which function to this day. All my Dell's are dead. I guess it's just luck of the draw.
Must be luck. M uses & swears by Macs and talked me into getting one, although one of her little Macs suffered two battery and one hard drive failure. At the time, the MacBook Pro was high end, so I expected great things of it, and the Aperture program was OK, at first, and so was the machine. But jeepers, failure of battery, hard drive, and disk drive in just two years, and the battery was very little used. I have another DELL that dates from about `98 that is still working fine, and I use it for some things, especially a photo/images/clip art program for which I have been unable to locate a satisfactory replacement that will function on Windows 7.