Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Av TAv Question

Took my new K3 out for the first time today. I shot using the Av mode and he Av TAv mode. When in the last a number of pictures all had the same exposure. Same ISO, shutter speed and aperture. The pictures came out terrible. What did I do wrong?

I used the Av mode and changed the aperture as needed. They came out great. By the way, the ISO was the same for all of them. I thought it floated up and down.

Appreciate some hints please.

Thanks.

Steve

01-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post some of the samples that turned out terrible? TAv is where you set the shutter speed and aperture manually and the camera picks the ISO, and it's not always going to be possible for the camera to expose the image properly even at max iso if there isn't enough light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
By the way, the ISO was the same for all of them. I thought it floated up and down.
On the K-7 to have the iso run in auto you have to set the auto range and then hold the green button and press the iso button to switch it to Auto mode for TAv.
Check the K-3 manual to see if this is the same/similar.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 01-12-2014 at 06:53 PM.
01-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The iso shouldve floated. However if you had the aperture set numerically low and the shutter speed low.... the pics would be overexposed and blurry. If you did the opposite side hey might come out dark. Depends on the limits you set and what the camera is capaplble of.

Alternatively you could've had exposure compensation on.

01-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
When in the last a number of pictures all had the same exposure. Same ISO, shutter speed and aperture.
Tav allows you to set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera will set the ISO, within the ISO range selected. So if you have the ISO range set to 100 to 800 for example and the camera needs 1600, things don't come out right. It will just go up to 800 and then the exposure is wrong. At least it works that way on the k-5, have not tested it on k-3 yet.