Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

pentax mg - film advance won't move past a certain spot

as the title says, after a few shots (and putting new batteries in after a while), my mg decides to derp up, and not let me push the film advance past a certain spot. it's on a orange dot, instead of a one, and i cannot get the bottom plate off to see if there's anything wrong, because it's screwed on WAY too tightly and i'm afraid i'll strip the screws on accident. i had bought this the other day, and played around with it, and it performed fine. only after dinner today, i had been playing with it again, and from what i remembered, it would:
1. after successfully pushing the lever forward and putting it back, the shutter would be closed, even with my finger off the shutter release.

2. it worked for another exposure, but that's when it became stubborn and refused to move. as far as i know everything else works fine (the capabilities of the AUTO mode).

the lever WILL NOT go forward and let me take another shot, i can press down on the shutter release as if the lever wasn't pushed in the first place, but the shutter will not open at all. i took a look inside, from where the lens attaches from, and there is no gunk on the mirror , or any other dirty things inside that i cannot see.
i've scoured google for the past hour and i still have no idea what happened to it. any suggestions?

01-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds as if you have a jammed film in the camera. This sort of thing will happen if one of the sprocket holes tears, for example. It can also happen if you wind too far or hard on the last exposure. The tape that holds the film to the reel can jam in the spool. The only solution is a changing bag to remove the film to save any exposures on it. If there are no exposures on the film, it is probably a lost film.
01-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
yes, it could have been, if there were film in the camera. my apologies for forgetting to add it, but there is no film in the camera, and i never did put any film in it. it's something else, but it's not film related.

before the lever got stuck, i fired the shutter a few times and it worked fine, then while i would be pushing the lever forward, the viewfinder would be black, as if the mirror was flipped up and the shutter was open. it worked twice, like that, after that had happened, and that's when the lever got stuck. and just for clarification, there is no film in it
01-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Then it sounds as if the mirror is stuck in the raised position. If you look carefully into the lens mount, you will see a little release lever on the side to your left (the winder/release side) of the mount that holds the mirror in the raised position. Examine closely using a magnifying glass. Sometimes the lever will cross over, so to speak, the mechanism and get hung up. If this is the case, carefully use a wooden cocktail toothpick to put things back into place and see if this solves your problem.

01-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
i'm looking inside the camera, and the mirror isn't stuck up. in fact i can move the mirror around (obviously not touching the reflective part of the mirror, just the backing). the mirror is down, and the release lever doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with it. i looked at the internals before i bought it. when i did that i remembered the release lever was in the down position when it was working, so i don't think it's mirror related. i could try removing the bottom plate but the screws have been screwed in too tight and i'm afraid i'll strip the screws. they aren't budging at all, either.
01-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried working from the rear of the camera? Some times it is that the rewind crank is still engaged/disengaged from the winder mechanism. Usually, though the lever just spins in the void when that happens. Maybe try moving the sprockets slightly to see if something drops into place. After all that, maybe look up Eric on the forum and see if the cost is worth it to have him fix it.
01-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
from other advice i got i did move the sprockets to the right at least 10 times, gently, but i didn't hear anything nor did it get back to functionality. maybe i'll ask eric about it. can you link his profile to me?
01-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Eric is a well known repair person -- and I would have difficulty using him because I am in a different country

Here is his site: Pentaxs.com