Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Memory card question

I am using my new K-5II and Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens with 64 gb Lexar Platinum II Class 10 memory card. I have downloaded photos from this card using the PC/AV outlet/cord, no problem with that. However, after the download, I find that the 5II can no longer see the photos on the memory card that I had downloaded to my Passport storage device. The card still appears to be working properly otherwise because I took another series of shots which can be seen by the camera.

Other points:
--The "missing" photos can be viewed on the card by placing the card in a Dynex 5-in-1 card reader model "DX-CR501

--I did not format the Lexar memory card, but used it in the camera right out of the box (actually plastic bubble package)

--Before uploading to the Passport, I renamed the DCIM file to DCIM21 for easy identification purposes on my Passport storage device.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

01-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DCIM is a required directory on the memory card (see Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a quick overview). The camera will (basically) only look for that directory and nothing else.
01-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
DCIM is a required directory on the memory card (see Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a quick overview). The camera will (basically) only look for that directory and nothing else.
Thank you. I put the card back in the card reader, changed the name of the directory back to DCIM, and it worked like a charm! Thanks for taking the time to tell me.
01-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You really need to format the card. The only photos I ever lost on a card was when I forgot to format a new card.