Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
No autofocus in viewfinder

I am using a K-30 and the Tamron 80-210mm 1:4.5-5.6 Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database. AF is working in live view but not through the viewfinder. I have the camera set to AF.S and the A ring is enabled, so I'm not sure why it's only working in one view. I've tried using Manual and Aperture Priority on the dial. My newer zooms (DA L 50-200, e.g.) are working using both. Any ideas?

01-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only thing I can think of is the pins on the lens might be dirty - clean them with "something" (there's lots of discussion about what to use to clean the pins). Personally, I'd either lightly rub them with an eraser or perhaps a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol. Both of these suggestions will get some flack - use your own judgement. Good luck.
01-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Tried that, Chip. It did not work. I saw someone else had posted something about superimposing, but that message disappeared. I checked that and toggled it on/off... It did not seem to make much of a difference. I don't mind using live view, I'm just curious why it would only work in one and not the other.
01-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hummm, I'm 'bout out of ideas (that didn't take long, did it?)

Since the lenses are physically focused using the lead screw we think we know the camera is ok and the lenses can physically focus - since both lenses focus using LV it appears that Contrast AF works as it should - since one lens focuses when using Phase Detect AF (not LV) it appears that that function works and is configured correctly. So, nothing is broken??

If you can, I'd suggest taking your K30 and two lenses (one that focuses and the Tamron) to a camera store and see if they'll let you "test" the different combos. Or, perhaps you know someone who has a Pentax DSLR??

NOW I'm out of ideas....................

01-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
I went into C mode and set the dial to M. It seemed to be a bit more responsive but I'm not quite sure yet. I'll do some more testing this weekend.
01-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the AF not working or is the viewfinder diopter out of adjustment such that the image in the viewfinder is blurry?
01-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
Figured it out... dunce move on my part. I had the A ring enabled but the aperture wasn't set to A on the lens. I thought it was. Everything is working now. I feel dumb. LOL.

01-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad it's sorted out - and don't feel like the lone ranger ALL of us have done something dumb at one time or another - and some of us have done more than one!!
01-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
Figured it out... dunce move on my part. I had the A ring enabled but the aperture wasn't set to A on the lens. I thought it was. Everything is working now. I feel dumb. LOL.
Hahaha, that's the first thing that came to mind while I was reading trough the posts.
I've done that too a couple of times... it gets frustrating after a while
01-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
Haha. Thanks for the help guys.