Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Shutter count

There has been some folks talking about the shutter counts on their DSLR's lately. There are even a couple of websites that say they can give you the one on yours. My questions to you are:
Is there a limit that should concern us?
Does Pentax have an established "limit" to the camera's?
Is this a real concern?
What is the physical differences between the old film cameras and the new DSLR?

The website Ugly Hedgehog is where I have read all this. I have ( and love ) my K10d, I would appreciate any info on this subject you can give me, and I will probably use your responses to reply to the UHH posts to alleviate any questions they have.

Thanks again for this web site, it is an amazing resource.

Phil

01-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a link to Adam's post with checking for shutter count and manufacture date of your camera:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/169265-how...te-online.html
01-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Isn't there a thread somewhere around here with the story of a 115k shutter count K10D? The camera was sold, resold, passed on, and it made its way back to the original owner somehow.
01-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Here's a link to Adam's post with checking for shutter count and manufacture date of your camera:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/169265-how...te-online.html
Thanks for the website, but that didn't answer my question. The question was, should I worry about the count, there were aroun 67,400 on my K19d as of today.
Does Pentax set a value that I haven't found yet, or, again, does it really matter?

01-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fairtaxphil Quote
s there a limit that should concern us?
Conventional wisdom when I bought my K10D in 2007 was that the shutter was good for about 50,000 actuations. Since that time it is my impression that that "barrier" was largely artificial. During the time I have been active on this site, I can't say that I remember a single report of shutter failure on a K10D, though I am sure that it does happen. For counterpoint, I have a friend who went through three Canon 7d bodies in two years, all of which experienced shutter failure.

For reference, my K10D, bought in March of 2007, is creeping up on the magic 50,000 mark and I have had no problems to date.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2014 at 06:17 PM.
01-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shutter count

Thanks to all who responded, I went through all 61 pages of this thread, and only found one reference to the count. It was very similar to my question. I think now that there are more important things to worry about, my curiosity has been satisfied. Thanks again!
01-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, mine is close to the same. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over this! Nothing to fret about! Thanks again.

Phil
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Conventional wisdom when I bought my K10D in 2007 was that the shutter was good for about 50,000 actuations. Since that time it is my impression that that "barrier" was largely artificial. During the time I have been active on this site, I can't say that I remember a single report of shutter failure on a K10D, though I am sure that it does happen. For counterpoint, I have a friend who went through three Canon 7d bodies, all of which experienced shutter failure.

For reference, my K10D, bought in March of 2007, is creeping up on the magic 50,000 mark and I have had no problems to date.

Steve
01-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fairtaxphil Quote
Thanks Steve, mine is close to the same. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over this! Nothing to fret about! Thanks again.

Phil
Some K10 shutter data on this website.
pentax k10d | Camera Shutter Life Database

01-13-2014, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The point to keep in mind is that the shutter count estimates are the centre point of a bell curve, not a guarantee of making that many exposures. When my shutter dies, I'll be able to con - er, convince - my wife that I need a K-3. Unfortunately, I think that will be quite a while yet.
01-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The point to keep in mind is that the shutter count estimates are the centre point of a bell curve, not a guarantee of making that many exposures. When my shutter dies, I'll be able to con - er, convince - my wife that I need a K-3. Unfortunately, I think that will be quite a while yet.
Does the K10D not have a continuous shooting mode? Should be pretty easy to do a stress test on the shutter, cap the lens and hold down the shutter till the battery dies/card fills up. Then repeat...and again...just saying
01-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Some K10 shutter data on this website.
pentax k10d | Camera Shutter Life Database
Three users report at least 1 million actuations (!?) without/before failure

I don't know about the sample size (n < 500), but it is still interesting to look at the survival graph. Contrary to the labeling, the graph shows the expected %-age survival at a particular shutter count. A threshold at about 50,000 is sort of expected. The "plateau" above 100,000 indicating a 70.5% chance of survival to a million is probably spurious due the paucity of data for that range.

Summary: Based on the 420 respondents, it looks like the vast majority of K10Ds will provide at least 50,000 with a reasonable expectation of 100,000 actuations.

Steve

Note: The relatively low number of "dead" K10D increases the uncertainty of the prediction statistic.

Another Note: Compare to the Nikon D80 (K10D contemporary) http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d80.htm

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2014 at 05:50 PM.
01-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Three users report at least 1 million actuations (!?) without/before failure

I don't know about the sample size (n < 500), but it is still interesting to look at the survival graph. Contrary to the labeling, the graph shows the expected %age survival at a particular shutter count. A threshold at about 50,000 is sort of expected. The "plateau" above 100,000 indicating a 70.5% chance of survival to a million is probably spurious due the paucity of data for that range.

Summary: Based on the 420 respondents, it looks like the vast majority of K10Ds will provide at least 50,000 with a reasonable expectation of 100,000 actuations.

Steve
I have no idea how accurate this data is, or how old. I remember seeing it posted here long time ago and was able to find it again. Take it for what it`s worth, looks good to me thou.