Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade from K200D

Hi all. I'm thinking of upgrading from my K200. I was going for the K5 but not sure whether to keep saving for a K5/2 or be really patient and save for a K3 though not sure if the K3 is too big a jump. Any thoughts or advice gladly received. Thanks.

01-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
Hi all. I'm thinking of upgrading from my K200. I was going for the K5 but not sure whether to keep saving for a K5/2 or be really patient and save for a K3 though not sure if the K3 is too big a jump. Any thoughts or advice gladly received. Thanks.
The K-5 and K-5 II are basically the same camera, so I think you'd be fine with the original K-5, which is already a very big upgrade over the K200. With that said, the K-5 II (now discontinued) is available for around $699 and you probably won't find a new K-5 anywhere for that cheap, if at all. Used ones can be found all over the place, though, including our Marketplace.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A used K5 for $500 or less is a helluva bargain and a big jump from the K200D. Used K5II units are also available. I would consider that over new, if bought here thru the marketplace.

The K3 is a massive jump, but too big? Only you can decide that. You'd figure out how to use it.
Me - I'd get a used K5 or K5IIs and a nice used lens or two for that money right now.
01-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just updated from a K200D to a K5II. I went for the II over the original for the updated AF as with a new son, I want to be ready for him to be running around, something the K200D would never have been able to handle. I am sure the K5 would have been leaps and bounds ahead of the K200D for this as well, but as I was buying new anyway, K5II made the most sense.

So far I am extremely happy with the upgrade

01-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For me, AF performance is one of the biggest reasons to use my K-5 IIs over my K200D. I still have the K200D, as well as a K-5. I may sell my K-5, but keep the K200D. That's another way of saying the K-5 II/IIs is a worthwhile improvement over the K-5.

Also hang on to your K200D if you can. It has a CCD sensor that in some ways is still preferable to the current model's CMOS sensors. My K-5 IIs is normally the one I grab, but there are some situations in which I still specifically choose the K200D. Also, it's a good idea to have a backup body. It's difficult to get a better backup than a K200D if on a relatively tight budget.
01-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm sure the K3 is better in several ways, but the K5 (any variety) is a big upgrade from the K200, particularly with regard to sensor dynamic range, and is probably currently more cost effective vs. the K3. If the cost difference is minor, the K5ii makes sense, but you shouldn't hesitate to purchase an original K5 if you find one at a good price.