Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash will not go into P-TTL mode [SOLVED]

Hi,

I have a K200 and an AFX-360 flash. Sometime ago the flash refused to go into P-TTL mode, so I sent it to get repaired but the repair centre reported that they could not find a problem with it and returned it.

I got it back yesterday and true enough it would cycle through the modes but as soon as I placed it on the hot-shoe and turned it on, it came up in TTL mode and would not select P-TTL. When I removed it from the camera, the symptoms are the same - no P-TTL.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by siric; 01-15-2014 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Changed titled to add [SOLVED]
01-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not a P-TTL expert - but what lens do you have on the camera when these symptoms arise?
01-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
See also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36689-...nto-p-ttl.html
01-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by siric Quote
Hi,

I have a K200 and an AFX-360 flash. Sometime ago the flash refused to go into P-TTL mode, so I sent it to get repaired but the repair centre reported that they could not find a problem with it and returned it.

I got it back yesterday and true enough it would cycle through the modes but as soon as I placed it on the hot-shoe and turned it on, it came up in TTL mode and would not select P-TTL. When I removed it from the camera, the symptoms are the same - no P-TTL.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Steve
Dirty contacts possibly?

Is the flash right fully in the hotshoe . I had a odd thing with a trigger not fully in , would only take images under 1/60 because it was not right in, once right in it went up to the normal 1/180 max sync speed.

See I you can find any one near you with a pentax that you can test your flash on?
I

01-15-2014, 05:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Dirty contacts possibly?

Is the flash right fully in the hotshoe . I had a odd thing with a trigger not fully in , would only take images under 1/60 because it was not right in, once right in it went up to the normal 1/180 max sync speed.

See I you can find any one near you with a pentax that you can test your flash on?
I
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I removed the flash and the lens (Pentax 18-55) and cleaned the contacts - still no joy. I then tried my other lens (Sigma 70 - 300) and P-TTL mode showed up!! Put back on the 18-55 and it is now working with that as well.

Did some power downs, swapped lenses and removed and replaced flash just to make sure, and all is well now.

Thanks again!!
01-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Ahhh the joys of modern cameras, bring back fully manual i say, that would sort out the men from the boys.
glad it worked thumbs up
08-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

Just noted some issues with the pentax ring flash on K5-k3 amongst others going back a couple of years on this forum.
I seemed to have lost the P-TTL auto function recently. I have only had the flash a few days and am on a steep learning curve with macro photography.
Having looked at forums on the issues I wondered why I seemed to have lost the auto function particularly the pre flash. After a restless night reading about the problems on forums and thinking I'd done me dough $$, I tried to back track to all the different settings I played with over the previous days.
In the wee early hours of the morning I realised I had turned off the red eye flash function on the camera while playing with the flash.
When I got up, I switched the red eye function back on, and now seem to have the pre flash auto function back.
I did this on my k3 and my D-FA 100 mm macro.
I am sure it will work on the K5 too. Hope this helps if it hasn't been mentioned before. Maybe Ricoh-pentax should add this info in the ring flash manual!