Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Just broke my Tamron A17 70-300mm

I won a nice, second hand, Tamron A17 70-300mm on eBay, and had it delivered this morning. Gave the focus and aperture rings a quick twist when I unpacked it to make sure they worked, then did the same with the zoom, but harder than I meant to. Everything seemed ok, so I connected it to the camera (K-x). Realised then that the zoom wasn't doing anything. The ring twists, but nothing happens. Looking at it, I think I had it set to Macro when I twisted the zoom ring, not realising it should only go so far

Does anyone know what I've broken? Something rattles now when I shake it. It's not worth sending off for repair, as it was so cheap, so I'm going to try fixing it myself. Any hints or tips so I don't make it worse?

This is the eBay listing:

Tamron A17 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 LD Di AF Lens Pentax 62mm 0725211177142 | eBay

01-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mount the lens on your camera, set the camera on MF (manual focus).
Take the lens and zoom it in to the 70mm end, see if you can move the switch on it out of "Macro".

See if that does anything.
01-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Attempting to repair a modern zoom lens is not for the faint-hearted.

Unless you have good knowledge of lens repair, you'll most likely do more damage than good.
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Julie, thanks for the reply

I forgot to mention, the macro switch seems to be working, in that it only switches when the lens is set to 180 - 300mm, and only lets the focus ring move to the macro settings when it's engaged. It looks like I've disconnected the zoom ring from the rest of the body, but it still rotates to the correct positions.

Hi Tom

I definitely agree with you there! Unfortunately for this lens, it would cost me more to get it fixed than it would to buy a replacement. I'm going to treat this as a learning exercise, and see if I can do anything about it. If not, I've got a fancy looking 70mm lens

01-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ive got the Quantaray LD 70-300 macro (rebadged tamron LD). I am surprised you could turn the zoom ring past the stops in macro. Mine would take a wrench I believe to go past the 180 stop with it switched to macro . No way to do it accidentally. Sounds as if it may have been broken when you got it.
01-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Quite possibly. Unfortunately for me though, I heard a crunch as I turned it, so have no way of knowing who broke it, and wouldn't feel right sending it back to the seller when it probably was me

I've got the hammer and chisel out, so if that doesn't fix it, I don't know what to do...
01-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That crunch noise is something you never wanna hear on a lens like that.
Honestly... someone has to look at it (someone that knows how to fix lenses). You won't fix it "over the internet" that's for sure ...

And for the love of what is dear to you... put. the. chisel. and. hammer. away!
01-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fine! I'll go get the hacksaw and blowtorch instead

01-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tippon Quote
I heard a crunch as I turned it, so have no way of knowing who broke it
The ebay listing is a little dubious. First of all you can`t buy the ``wrong size`` K mount lens as claimed.
And of course the old standby ``I have not checked to see if it works`` so the seller can claim he didn`t know.
I would go back to the seller and ask for a refund.
01-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Hartless_1 (love that name! ), thanks for the tip

Like you say, looking back, the ad does look a bit iffy. I'm pretty sure it was me that broke it though. When I twisted it and got the crunch, it felt like something gave. I'm treating it as a slightly expensive lesson in how to repair lenses. I've been a computer engineer for years, and have plenty of experience in repairing small fiddly items, so this is more like a branch in a new direction

All I need to do now is remember where I put my small screwdriver set