Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 03:40 AM   #1

K3 and Canon FD lenses

I currently use a Canon 7D and have had quite a lot of success using my collection of M42 lenses with this body. However, I also have a collection of Canon FD lenses, which I occasionally use on my old Canon T90. I am considering a Pentax K3 to get better flexibility from my manual lenses, but did read somewhere that I would still need an adapter with optics to use my FD lenses, this is the problem I have with the FD lenses on my 7D. I can use my Canon FD 100mm macro with an adapter with the glass removed, but would like a camera which can achieve infinity focus with both sets of manual lenses.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan

01-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the flange distance on the kmount is longer than that of your 7D, so the chances of getting an adapted FD lens to work at infinity without optics are slim to none. There have been extreme cases where its been done, but these require surgical shortening and mount replacement of the lens and only works with certain lenses.
01-16-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Your only option for infinity focus, without resorting to a corrected adapter, on a digital body is going to be something mirrorless. The Sony NEX is a commonly recommended body.
01-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can take out the FD mount, and with some patience can adapt a K mount to the lens. It is not very hard. Needs some new holes in the K mount, for the screws.

I did it to a cheap FD lens, and I can focus to infinite, but i have some problems adapting the aperture lever, so i stopped the work to it for a while

01-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by killwilly Quote
I currently use a Canon 7D and have had quite a lot of success using my collection of M42 lenses with this body. However, I also have a collection of Canon FD lenses, which I occasionally use on my old Canon T90. I am considering a Pentax K3 to get better flexibility from my manual lenses, but did read somewhere that I would still need an adapter with optics to use my FD lenses, this is the problem I have with the FD lenses on my 7D. I can use my Canon FD 100mm macro with an adapter with the glass removed, but would like a camera which can achieve infinity focus with both sets of manual lenses.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan
This is a general problem with canon, you are , with your present camera using the third lens mount from canon .
The FD lenses use the first, and each I time canon has changed, they have not even offered an upgrade path. Part of the problem with the FD or breach mount lens is that it is really an inverted bayonets and to mount to any SLR requires an adaptor than shifts the lens forward and therefore makes infinity focus impossible.

There is, available from china, an adaptor between canon FD and k mount, which has optical elements (essentially a teleconverters) that allows use of the lenses while retaining infinity focus, but it really is like a 1.4x TC with rather poor optics. They work, but image quality suffers greatly
01-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Fotodiox makes an adapter, I can't attest to how well to image quality would be.
Fotodiox Pro Lens Adapter, Canon FD, FL Lens to Pentax K Camera Lens Mount Adapter

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-16-2014 at 05:53 AM.
01-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am considering a Pentax K3 to get better flexibility from my manual lenses
I believe I have read about FD lenses working quite well with the new Sony A7 and an adapter. Fred Miranda forums has an A7 thread with lots of photos.

Your 7D can accommodate more types of older glass than a K-3. In additional to M42s, I've put Pentax "M" and "A" lenses on mine. Other folks put older Nikon and Oly glass on theirs.

M
01-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

There is, available from china, an adaptor between canon FD and k mount, which has optical elements (essentially a teleconverters) that allows use of the lenses while retaining infinity focus, but it really is like a 1.4x TC with rather poor optics. They work, but image quality suffers greatly
Thats where I saw an adapter with the internal glass and the reason for asking if the K3, or indeed any Pentax camera can use an FD lens without an adapter with glass. I don't want to start hacking at my lenses just to use them on one particular body. Perhaps a bit more research is required for a suitable camera.

Many thanks everyone for your replies.

01-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

FYI

Camera Mounts Sorted by Register

(doesn't include Nex, MFT etc these are all short register distances ~20mm and thereabouts)

Correction: MFT etc are all there

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-16-2014 at 07:46 AM.
01-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thats where I saw an adapter with the internal glass and the reason for asking if the K3, or indeed any Pentax camera can use an FD lens without an adapter with glass. I don't want to start hacking at my lenses just to use them on one particular body. Perhaps a bit more research is required for a suitable camera.

You can also get the Fotodiox with the focal glass at B&H. Also Pro Optic makes a good one. I don't suggest going wiith the cheaper China ones from my experience.
fotodiox FD TO PK ADAPTER | B&H Photo Video
01-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The Chinese adaptor is available for about $30 but the 1.45x magnification, and corresponding 1 stop loss of light along with the optical drawbacks make use something limited. Between the increased magnification and crop factor mean the adaptor is really only good for telephoto applications.

If you need a lens in a pinch, and you have FD lenses plus adaptor it so worth it , otherwise. It is better to use FD lenses on an short registry ILC with a mechanical adaptors and not a DSLR. The other option, would be to take a high quality FL 1.4x TC and put the elements into the Chinese adaptor, or use the mounts off the Chinese adaptor to make a hybrid adaptor with quality optics
01-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Having had a collection of FD lenses that I liked very much, it was disappointing to see canon abandon the mount. I've sold most of them (for not much), but it would definitely not be worth using an optical adapter for any of the lenses I owned. Realistically I'd miss some of the automated features that'd I'd lose vs. modern lenses, so I probably wouldn't even use them if infinity focus worked without extra glass. Probably the only people who'd be interested in an adapter would be people with the very high-end, large aperture telephoto FD lenses - or of course a macro as in your example.

Last edited by tibbitts; 01-16-2014 at 09:06 PM.