Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Exposure Correction - For Color Filters

So...using color filters for B&W shooting, through the lens metering is a no-brainer but, what if...I'm using a camera that has none? Could I, for instance, instead of using the 'guess chart' put said filter on a similar camera and read the exposure compensation (let's say a stop and a half with the filter on) could I use that same compensation on the other camera?

01-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Short answer - Yes. Most filters used to come with a piece of paper which told the photographer what the exposure adjustment was. You should also be able to find this information of manufacturer's websites.

Regards

Chris
01-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
using color filters for B&W shooting, through the lens metering is a no-brainer
Not always true. Some meters are less sensitive to certain colours and will give an erroneous reading. I seem to remember getting underexposure with a yellow/green filter on an old nikkormat I had back in the last century.

So, you are really best off knowing the exposure factor for your filter. Meter without the filter, attach the filter, and adjust your exposure to compensate.

Or--experiment and figure out an exposure compensation to apply to your through-the-filter reading.
01-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Kodak pocket guide has many paper calculators & useful tables. Mine is not handy right now, but I know there is a whole section on standard colored filters, and likely the exposure compensation with Kodak film available at the time of publication.

01-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Some filter companies put the “Exposure Factor” on the filter rim, B+W Schneider is one. If you use old Pentax filters they usually come with a sheet indication the EF, otherwise you can get this info from the Ricoh/Pentax website.

If you go to the website of the B&W film you are using, there will be a tech sheet indicating the EF you should be using for a specific kind of filter for that film.
Otherwise the cameras TTL meter usually works fine, especially the ones in Pentax film bodies. The possible exception is red or dark red filters, sometimes you need to add a stop for those.

Here is a link to the Pentax Filter guide:
http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/235_1314744947-1771614357_manual.pdf

Phil.