Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Why jpeg when RAW is selected?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a K7 and have been learning about the benefits of RAW versus jpeg. I have selected RAW as my camera format but when I review the photos, some are jpeg and some are RAW. Is it because it takes longer to process the RAW and if I shoot too soon after the first photo it converts to jpeg. Could there be something wrong with the camera?

01-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3Foot Quote
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a K7 and have been learning about the benefits of RAW versus jpeg. I have selected RAW as my camera format but when I review the photos, some are jpeg and some are RAW. Is it because it takes longer to process the RAW and if I shoot too soon after the first photo it converts to jpeg. Could there be something wrong with the camera?
Do you have the camera set to RAW+? That's where it saves both a raw and a jpeg for each photo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sometimes see a JPEG version of a photo on my card when I import shots on the computer. I assume that the RAW button sometimes gets accidentally pressed, and the shot just after that press is done as RAW+JPEG. When the camera is in RAW+JPEG mode, the camera saves two files, and both files have the same file name, different extensions*.

You can check two settings. The very first setting on the menu is File Format. That should say RAW for a single file that is in PEF or DNG format. Then on page 4 of the same tab, the third item is "RAW Button". I would check the box that says "Cancel after 1 shot" because I want to be sure the camera never starts taking a string of JPEGs when I'm not aware.

*If I process a RAW shot in the camera, the JPEG is saved with a new file name, the number of the last shot on the card plus 1.
01-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
I think I've discovered that using the green or auto mode saves in jpeg. I've been mixing it up, using manual and the P mode. I think the auto mode is only jpeg. The others will allow for the RAW files. If I'm in a place where I can't take the time to adjust the camera I use the green mode. I may have to rethink this strategy. Thanks for the reply. DT

01-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations for solving the problem. Yes, green mode will only save a JPEG. It forces 11 settings on the camera and 17 functions are not available. (Page 95 of the manual has a list.) I prefer to use P mode, which does almost all the full auto stuff but doesn't prevent adjustments like exposure compensation.
01-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, don't get green mode and P mode confused. Green mode is the one that forces certain settings, including JPEG, and also at "two star" quality for whatever reason. "P" mode by itself should keep you out of trouble, while still allowing for a lot of flexibility, such as the Hyper-Tv or Hyper-Av modes -- many of us love that very "Pentax" feature!

Since you are new, I'll just mention this. You might want to review/modify your "memory" settings. This tells the camera which settings to remember, versus reset, when the camera is switched off. You would think that the camera should remember everything, but some settings were meant to be forgotten, like EV compensation. Nothing worse than making some EV compensation settings one evening to compensate for the sunset, and then have all your shots overexposed the next day. Over time, I have migrated towards resetting almost everything. This way, the camera is always in a known state when I power it up. You can decide what memory settings are best for you.
01-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you who responded. When questions arise, I will use this forum again. DT