Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
Quick sling strap review and help request

I'm now using a Black Rapid Sport Extreme sling (ignore the negative comments and price, buy it and a tether kit, and get back to photographing, it's the cat's meow) for my Pentax K-5 II after going through Carry Speed (great idea, strap cushion to thin, heavy due to plate, try aluminum or titanium or more holes to lose mass CS), Joby (too thin, easily moves when sliding camera, not comfortable due to sliding strap) and Optech (comfortable, but cheap hardware, strap gets in way during portraits).

My problem is that when using the Pentax DA* 55mm lens with the Black Rapid sliding strap, my lens body AF/MF mode switch gets flipped. Ditto for my camera body AFS/AFC/MF mode switch. If I shot in MF/AFS mode, I wouldn't care so much, but I shoot AFC and I need to double-check before photo taking else I get a surprise no focus or wrong focus or something else that makes you go huh?

Anyways, any recommendations for covering these buttons and switches? Is there a function somewhere to tell the camera body stay in X mode regardless of AFS/AFC/MF switch position?

01-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Black Rapid and love it, I haven't had that problem but I wanted to find a way to keep a QR plate on. I found the Bostail, which is a short strap that fits on the left strap lug and has a metal ring on the other end to attach to the sling. It ends up with the camera hanging at a different angle so that more of the top of the camera than the side is against your body, in other words it changes the attach point.
01-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Banned

I use the BlackRapid sling and hand straps, love em both! Maybe try some gaffers tape over the switches???
01-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Original Poster
Thank you for the tips guys. I was thinking about a lens body wrap and gaffers tape as well, but the latter isn't convenient and am worried about the gunk getting into the slide mechanism.

With the Optech, I didn't have the switch sliding issue either.

I'm going to try having the camera ride higher and shorten the tether strap. I think it's a mix of the tether strap and the camera rubbing against my jean seams.

Still, other ideas are welcome.