Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
I have three original adapters, all second hand, all slightly different painting and inscriptions though.

One fits nicely in without play, but it takes more force to get it in and out. The little spring screw tends to become loose every now and then. My worst nightmare is that I loose the screw (and spring) inside the camera.
One fits with a little play. The screw remains tight. Not a problem if you use a lens with big flange that will secure it self, but ugly if the lens is smaller (eg MIR1)
One misses the screw and spring all together, so the lens can fall out unexpectedly.

So, yes, three original adapters, all three with some issues.
Thanks for that - mine fits with a little play too.

I tested the spring screw before trying it, nice & tight - does seem like a potential problem area though. Until I get more confidence with the adapter, I'll dedicate the camera to M42 lenses. A happy Pentax punter now though!

01-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
PS. The K100DS & Tak 135mm are up for surgery now!
Good luck!

First time I tried my third-party adapter I did so without a lens - and on the old ME body. Had to disassemble the mount to get it off again... No such problems after I removed that cursed spring from the adapter.
01-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Forum Member

I really don't understand those third party fabricators. You would think that they at least get them selves a second hand ME or something and try out their product. Or better, get an original adapter and simply reproduce it. Or better still - do both. Can't be that difficult and is very inexpensive.
01-20-2014, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
I really don't understand those third party fabricators. You would think that they at least get them selves a second hand ME or something and try out their product. Or better, get an original adapter and simply reproduce it. Or better still - do both. Can't be that difficult and is very inexpensive.
I understand them quite well. They turn out a product that satisfies inadequate tolerance standards and is not design equivalent to the genuine article and they do it for pennies per unit. When the item fails, it is the retail seller that takes the big hit, but even then the margin is pretty good such that even reputable firms such as B&H and Adorama continue to sell these inferior adapters despite the high return rate.

When my "Bower"* adapter failed on the second mount attempt, Adorama very obligingly agreed to take it back for full credit and ate the shipping both ways. Something tells me that wholesale price is less than $0.50 USD per adapter. I returned the favor by leaving a very unfavorable review.

Steve

* I bought a "Bower" and received a no-name white-box item.

01-21-2014, 01:29 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I understand them quite well. They turn out a product that satisfies inadequate tolerance standards and is not design equivalent to the genuine article and they do it for pennies per unit. When the item fails, it is the retail seller that takes the big hit, but even then the margin is pretty good such that even reputable firms such as B&H and Adorama continue to sell these inferior adapters despite the high return rate.
And I wouldn't think the return rate is very high for the less reputable sellers who don't cover return shipping. Besides, how many really bothers to return these cheap adapters?

So yes, I'd say the margin is pretty good.
01-21-2014, 02:47 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
I just want to add another M42 lens to the "no-problem-list", my Tak 135/3.5 preset fits nicely with the genuine adapter.