Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

M42 Problem Lenses/Manufacturers

Hi Folks,

I had a problem with a generic M42 adapter, a K100D & a SMC Tak 135mm - I managed to get all 3 nicely tied together permanently. Since then I've bought a Pentax M42 adapter but not brought myself to try it out with any of my M42 lenses (panic sets in every time I think about it!)

This has to stop, so the question is: are there any lenses or manufacturers known to cause problems with a genuine Pentax M42 adapter?

Secondly: Are there any Pentax cameras that have issues with a genuine Pentax M42 adapter?

Cheers!

01-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 Problem Lenses/Manufacturers

All I can say is that I bought an alternate supplier's adapter used at a camera store because at the time Pentax was back ordered and I couldn't wait to get started. While it "worked" I nearly cut my finger off trying to get it off the camera one day because it was so difficult to remove to use my K-mount lens. When the Pentax adapter was finally available I bought one right away. It works smoothly, both putting it on and taking it off.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 01-18-2014 at 08:10 AM.
01-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There have been plenty horror stories about 3rd party adapters. I have never read one about the genuine Pentax one. So I don't understand why you would be worried.

I also have not heard about problems with the genuine one on Pentax cameras. I have used the genuine Pentax one on K100D, K10D and K5.

The m42 lenses in my profile don' t cause problems. The 300mm is tricky to get off because of the tripod mount.

Last edited by sterretje; 01-18-2014 at 08:16 AM.
01-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

To answer your second question first:

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
Secondly: Are there any Pentax cameras that have issues with a genuine Pentax M42 adapter?
The Pentax Mount Adapter K was made by Pentax for Takumar owners' use with Pentax K-mount cameras. The genuine Pentax adapter has been here since 1975 and there must be hundreds of thousands of this adapter out there. Never do you hear any issues about it on any Pentax K-mount body, do you?

Then to your first question:

....so the question is: are there any lenses or manufacturers known to cause problems with a genuine Pentax M42 adapter?
Asahi Pentax Takumars and the adapter were made to very high standards and strict tolerances. One cannot assume that each and every third-party M42 lens has been manufactured to the same high standards, but you shouldn't expect any risk that the lens and adapter will jam. That risk is at the camera body-adapter end.

Speaking about 'panic': I remember the first time I mounted the adapter (with trembling hands) in the body and the adpter locked with a 'click'. My immediate thought was, "will I ever get it out again?". Well, I read the instructions, I did get it out again and I ALWAYS do.

01-18-2014, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

watch out for the "takumar pin"

Using manual focus lenses on Pentax (and Samsung)DSLR's
01-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the original Pentax Mount Adapter K, and no other adapter will be added to my cameras. I used the adapter (a previous one, but the same model) when I moved gradually from screw mount to K mount. I never had a problem with lenses falling off, lenses sticking on, adapter sticking on or any other problems using screw mount M42 lenses. Why would I want to save about $25 and take a chance on problems with a $1,000 camera body and whatever I paid for the lens?
01-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
watch out for the "takumar pin"
Yes, this was/is still the problem - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/233...elp-pls-5.html

my favourite camera & lens is still just a paperweight - hence a certain nervousness even with a genuine Pentax adapter

I've got an old A3 body, so I think I'll use that first to try my M42 lenses ( those with the tak pin last )

Thanks everybody for your replies & encouragement

01-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried the feeler gauge system yet? If you can locate the pin exactly, is there any play in the lens mount that would allow you to tilt the lens away from the pin?
01-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Have you tried the feeler gauge system yet? If you can locate the pin exactly, is there any play in the lens mount that would allow you to tilt the lens away from the pin?
I've been trying this unsuccessfully for quite a while, I'm fairly certain where the pin is located but no luck. I've been putting off the obvious solution too: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-m42-adapter-stuck-solution.html
with thoughts of dismantling the lens. I'll have a go at dismantling the mount though I think, at worst I should be able to salvage the lens.

Thanks for your reply.
01-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, this was/is still the problem - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/233...elp-pls-5.html

my favourite camera & lens is still just a paperweight - hence a certain nervousness even with a genuine Pentax adapter

I've got an old A3 body, so I think I'll use that first to try my M42 lenses ( those with the tak pin last )

Thanks everybody for your replies & encouragement
I would have resorted to brute force by now - shear off the tak pin or it gouges past the block. WABOL!!.
A normally tightly mounted lens that covers the camera mount so no access to the screws well I don't see any other way ...
01-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The genuine adapter itself should not cause any problems. It is well-machined, much better than most if not all third party knock-offs, so it is nice and smooth and fits the camera mount very well (its not too tight). Also, to remove it, you don't need any tools, you just use your nail to press a little lever and spin it right off.
The only thing you have to watch out for is lenses with a pin or some other protrusion that might get stuck. But these lenses are relatively rare, most m42 lenses are nice and flat
01-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't comment on the questions concerning specific lenses that might cause problems or which Pentax cameras have trouble with the Pentax adapter - I have experience only with Takumar lenses, Helios, Pentacon, and a couple of other varieties.

However, here is the review I posted in the Misc Adapters section in the PF reviews:

I have had very good success with the genuine Pentax adapter, but have not used any of the 'after-market' brands.

The Pentax Mount Adapter K installs very smoothly; fits precisely, positively, and cleanly; and removes equally easily. It provides for convenient and trouble-free use in the field. It is machined to close tolerance, and mates well to the body mount. The threads provide for a close and wobble-free mounting of the lens. Needless to say, it allows the M42 lens to focus to infinity, which certain 'flanged' adapters do not. Finally, the adapter requires no modification for effective operation and no additional tool is required to dismount it - certain after-market varieties come with a small device that is used to dislocate the securing spring latch.

Concerning the availability and price: In 2011, I paid the full 'Canadian' retail price over the counter at a local dealer who had several on the shelf. I originally thought it was a steep price to pay for a small piece of metal; later, however, I appreciated its quality and ease of use and have not had any remorse. Recently, I bought another (second-hand) for a good price to provide more convenience and to serve as a back-up in case of loss or damage.

Highly recommended.
Craig
01-18-2014, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When I have a chance, I think I will have to put together a "sticky" summarizing potential compatibility and adapter issues. They include:
  • Third-party adapters
  • Takumar pin issues (adapters and certain extension tubes and non-Pentax M42 bodies
  • Non-Pentax lenses with interfering pins, nubbins, and rings
General rules of thumb:
  • Use third-party adapters with great care and be aware of the risks
  • Carefully examine a lens that is new to you before mounting it to a camera or accessory to see if there is potential for entrapment in screw holes and the like *

Steve
01-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Forum Member

I have three original adapters, all second hand, all slightly different painting and inscriptions though.

One fits nicely in without play, but it takes more force to get it in and out. The little spring screw tends to become loose every now and then. My worst nightmare is that I loose the screw (and spring) inside the camera.
One fits with a little play. The screw remains tight. Not a problem if you use a lens with big flange that will secure it self, but ugly if the lens is smaller (eg MIR1)
One misses the screw and spring all together, so the lens can fall out unexpectedly.

So, yes, three original adapters, all three with some issues.
01-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fed up with being a wuss I finally tried the adapter on the A3 body - of course it's really easy to install & almost as easy to remove. Encouraged I mounted it on a istDS and taken a few snaps with a nice old Chinon 50mm - brilliant. Thanks folks!

PS. The K100DS & Tak 135mm are up for surgery now!