Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A question about flash.

When I use my K30 with a AF360 flash, I can do it in wireless mode. Now for a simple question, Is the controlling done via radio waves or infrared and what is the range? This is not mentioned in the manuals. Thanks for any hint.

01-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi VE2CJW,

P-TTL wireless remote is done with light. IIRC, it goes like this: The camera preflashes and gets information for exposure, then flashes again to relay the exposure information to the wireless remote. The remote flash flashes to confirm that it received the information, then the main flash is triggered in sync with the shutter. The optical sensors are infrared sensitive, so I guess you can say it's done with infrared though.

Scott
01-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi VE2CJW,

P-TTL wireless remote is done with light. IIRC, it goes like this: The camera preflashes and gets information for exposure, then flashes again to relay the exposure information to the wireless remote. The remote flash flashes to confirm that it received the information, then the main flash is triggered in sync with the shutter. The optical sensors are infrared sensitive, so I guess you can say it's done with infrared though.

Scott
Thanks Scott.
01-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It uses the built-in flash (or an external flash mounted in the hotshoe) for communication and it's based on light, not radio waves.

I don't think that there is two-way communication but I might be wrong; as far as I know it's the camera side that talks to the remote flash and the remote flash does not talk back.

You can set the flash at the camera side to be a controller only. But some people complain that they can still see the effect of the control flash in the picture. In my opinion this indicates that the camera 'instructs' the remote flash to cut the light off during the exposure. Stupid implementation; the camera could have easily told the flash (before the shutter opens) to emit light for e.g. 1/5000 second.