Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by podboy3 Quote
I have a *ist DL that I think I am finally wanting to upgrade from, I pulled it out over Christmas break and it was very painful to use. I am currently in college (again) and will have very little money for the next couple years so new anything is out of the question.

I have been out of the DSLR loop for quite a while and was wondering how what the Pentax lineup looked like and what would be some recommendations. I just expect the camera to have faster auto focus and better low light capabilities.

Sorry if I am vague on this, I just decided today today to start looking stuff up but I am taking too much time from studying and am hoping to get a jump start in the right direction.
I had a bit of a chuckle when I read this. I actually prefer the old CCD sensors found in those older cameras. If I use a DSLR at all it is normally my ist DS though I also have the K5iis to work with.

I don't mean any disrespect, I do understand that you will almost certainly enjoy an upgrade. But I am also finding that the older cameras are very, very good in their own way. Although the resolution has increased dramatically over the older cameras the results seem so much more clinical and sterile. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way because there are more and more people using software to digitally re-introduce the grain and other organic artifacts that have carefully been eliminated. Besides, though my K5iis is certainly not a huge and heavy camera, next to my ist DS it looks positively huge!

I hope you enjoy your new camera but don't forget the older models. They are still quite capable of some very amazing work for some very reasonable prices.

01-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #17

What exactly makes it painful to use? If it's something feature related then an upgrade may be needed but if it's an IQ problem I'd just get a better lens. Get a good 1.4 lens and stay below iso 800 and you'd be hard struck seeing much of a difference between the newer pentax high mp sensors and the old ccd 6 mp ones other than resolution of course.
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot my ist DS and DL2 at ISO 200 to 800. I can't remember ever going over that though I may have tried in the beginning. To be honest, I have never needed anything higher. Flash easily takes care of anything that a wide open aperture cannot.
01-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Flash isn't always possible (and is frequently undesirable) and aperture needs to be as unrestricted as possible for choosing depth of field.
Why work around a problem that you can simply fix? Even going from the K20D to the K5 opened up a whole new world of low light possibilities for me with useable high ISO and honestly clean mid ISO.
If I want something nostalgic or with an artistic look I bust out my film department which is still alive and well.
Unlike film cameras where the recording medium can change, digital cameras simply become limiting and obsolete when old, not vintage.

01-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Flash isn't always possible (and is frequently undesirable) and aperture needs to be as unrestricted as possible for choosing depth of field.
Why work around a problem that you can simply fix? Even going from the K20D to the K5 opened up a whole new world of low light possibilities for me with useable high ISO and honestly clean mid ISO.
If I want something nostalgic or with an artistic look I bust out my film department which is still alive and well.
Unlike film cameras where the recording medium can change, digital cameras simply become limiting and obsolete when old, not vintage.
Budget usually, surely if he was loaded he'd have the best slr possible already rather than pushing on with an outdated one.
03-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

If possible I use flash. Done properly it will provide an excellent picture. When I know it isn't permitted, which actually is not that common, I carry a fast lens and a monopod.

As for using outdated, and supposedly obsolete cameras, you would be surprised how good they still work. And with updated software to work with the RAW files the results can be just as good as a lot of entry level cameras are today. I happen to be fortunate that I can afford some newer equipment, but you do not have to own the latest Canon 5D Mark whatever to get good pictures. Expensive equipment does not translate to impressive pictures.

I had a friend that just recently won grand prize in a photo contest for an awesome picture of a litter of tiny, newborn rabbits held in an old gentleman's cupped and gnarly hands. She owns thousands of dollars worth of great cameras and glass, and recently updated some of her equipment. But that winning shot was grabbed with a cell phone.

It ain't the camera my friends, it is what you can do with what you have that makes the difference.