Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Histogram advice

Just a question should I expect in general terms a camera in a semi auto mode such as Av (assuming conditions that can meet the metering needs) should produce a histogram that extends to roughly each end of the graph area ??
More often than not I seem to get a ' to the left' histogram indicating the image is underexposed .. It has me confused a little

01-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It depends on the subject tones. Even when "properly" exposed, a dark subject will be more to the left, and a bright subject more to the right. If your camera supports the over/under-exposure warning (red/yellow "blinkies") that might help you. It generally shows what highlights are blown out or shadows that are totally black.
01-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks special I get the histogram but I always seem to feel the images are a tad underexposed and would sort of expect the graph to be more centred than not

01-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The put in a + e.v. value, vary it till you have what you want. Depending what camera you have it may not work in manual (M), but it likely works in aperture priority in all.

01-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks I'm a bit wary because I know what you see on the cameras screen is often somewhat different to what you see on the pc at home

01-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ideal is you learn to read the scene and dial in the right exposure adjustment based on what you see. That means you decide what metering mode works for you (start with one and later try another--center weighted and spot are the easiest to recognize what happened and learn how much e.v., to dial in), and you learn a bit about exposure. The way to improve exposure, which is key to getting most out of a wide dynamic range scene (and lowest noise), is to start looking at the result on the camera screen, and dialing an e.v. adjustment, shooting it again, and see how they look on your computer. The nice thing about the dslr is you can start doing it in/around the home and immediately looking on the computer and checking how it looks there.
01-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax have a reputation for under exposing slightly which I think is true. By basic downloaded preset has + 2/3 stop built in and I still often add a bit more,

01-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

When I click the "auto" button in Lightroom, 80% of the time, the program adds + 2/3 of a stop or so, so your experience is a common one. Me, I'd rather under expose and recover in post because it avoids highlight clipping and keeps shutter speed up and/or ISO down a little
01-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
When I click the "auto" button in Lightroom, 80% of the time, the program adds + 2/3 of a stop or so, so your experience is a common one. Me, I'd rather under expose and recover in post because it avoids highlight clipping and keeps shutter speed up and/or ISO down a little
My experience and preference concurs 100% with each and everything Kozlok said here.

-Heie
01-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input guys