Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash for K-3?

I ordered a Vivitar Pen 293 for my recently purchased K-3 and tested it out. Previously ...ok, yrs ago I had actually used a vivitar bounce swivel flash on a bracket on a K1000 and actually photographed weddings part time. But I found the instructions to be vague as I am not used to digital camera operation. Here is my Question, Is it wireless? There is no jack for a flash sync cord on the unit, was wondering how I was to use it on a flash bracket if I decided to go with this unit. The other question I had is if anyone has had experience with getting a defective unit. I am having to send the new flash unit back because when I tested it it fired once correctly by pushing the button on the back of the unit, and then after it was attached to the hot shoe it fired correctly only once when the shutter button was released, after which it began to fire off a series of short multiple bursts of flash stopped only by turning off the unit or it ran out of power. The place of purchase suggested it might be caused by bad batteries but I put in new batteries and it was the same. I tested it on multiple modes, always the same. Can a defective flash be dangerous to the camera? Yikes!

01-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For pTTL: Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F 31022 B&H Photo Video plus Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter FG 31045 B&H Photo Video plus PentaxWebstore.com:Extension Cord F5P (Short, 3 feet) Extension Cord F5P (Short, 3 feet). You can get a onger cable and there might be other solutions. Not sure about K3 but manuals for other cameras had a little section about it.

For x- sync: https://mobile.hama.com/00006952/hama-hot-shoe-adapter-cable-contact
01-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
For pTTL: Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F 31022 B&H Photo Video plus Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter FG 31045 B&H Photo Video plus PentaxWebstore.com:Extension Cord F5P (Short, 3 feet) Extension Cord F5P (Short, 3 feet). You can get a onger cable and there might be other solutions. Not sure about K3 but manuals for other cameras had a little section about it.

For x- sync: https://mobile.hama.com/00006952/hama-hot-shoe-adapter-cable-contact
Seeing the pics of the Hot Shoe Adapter cleared up my confusion on that. Now I know what to buy. Hopefully Vivitar puts out some additional instructions for that flash. Getting a defective flash first time around made me a bit skittish about it to begin with. And I was trying to decide if I should switch brands but I will give this a try when the replacement gets here. Thanks for the info it helped a lot.
01-31-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, the flash sent to to replace the defective one I bought the first time is also either defective or just incompatible with the K3. I will only buy Pentax or otherwise suggested brand that is known to work on a K3. Round 2 on sending it back. But regardless of that I am having fun with the K3, got some great pics just practicing.

02-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update on round 2 defective Vivitar flash Pen-293 ( the manual was tiny and I mean tiny and half of it was devoted to if it was being used on a different brand of camera which gave me ????? marks in my head to begin with since it was supposed to be specifically for a Pentax) anyway after that flash produced the same results it got sent back promptly and I decided not to put an off brand flash on my K3. The online store I bought it from told me I had bad batteries and that was producing the multiple intermittent bursts of flash that wouldn't quit unless the unit was turned off. This happened even if any button on the camera was pushed or the flash was touched in any sort of way. Bad batteries HUH??? Solved my problem of the flash by driving to a reputable camera store in Austin and buying a Pentax AF-360 FGZ Flash. Worked perfectly the first time and every other time since. That Vivitar flash was either defective or incompatible either of which is probably dangerous to the electronics in your camera if it sends a power surge through the hotshoe. I knew there wasn't enough instructions on that vivitar, the Pentax flash instructions is almost as big as the camera instruction booklet, lol.